IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules PLEASE READ Before Submitting Recipes for Review

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dunkelweizen Recipe, First time attempt, feedback appreciated.
ncbeerbrewer
post Oct 7 2008, 06:27 PM
Post #1

Brewmaster

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,954

I am planning to brew up my first Dunkelweizen this coming weekend. I have listed to the Jamil show, read the chapter in Brewing Classic Styles and reference the recipe I created for a Bavarian Hefeweizen back this summer. This is the first time I am planning to make this style of beer and I have tried to put together this recipe below. As for what I am going for: I am just trying to make a good quality Dunkelweizen so anyone that knows this style and has brewed it often I would love to hear what you think of this recipe. I appreciate the feedback and I do have another question. For this style Jamil says use Wyeast 3068 Weheinstephan but I picked up a Wyeast Culture collection pamplet at my LHBS and first choice for a Dunkelweizen it suggests Wyeast 3056 Bavarian Wheat Blend. Does anyone suggest one over the other?

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.39 gal
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (15 Gal) and Igloo/Gott Cooler (10 Gal)
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.75 lb Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 51.61 %
3.00 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 22.94 %
2.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 15.29 %
6.00 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 4.59 %
6.00 oz Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 4.59 %
2.00 oz Carafa II (412.0 SRM) Grain 0.99 %
4.00 oz Hallertauer [1.50 %] (60 min) Hops 16.7 IBU

Yeast: Wyeast 3068 or Wyeast 3056

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.061 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.016 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.86 %
Bitterness: 16.7 IBU
Est Color: 18.4 SRM Color: Color

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jon DeBrewman
post Oct 8 2008, 07:55 PM
Post #2

Assistant Brewer

Member No.: 3,499

Seems too complicated to me.

the best dunkelweizen I have ever brewed was 50% German wheat malt and 50% German Munich malt and 20 IBU's of northern Brewer I used WLP380 Hefeweizen IV Ale Yeast at 65F for a nice balanced spicyness with more emphasis onthe clove than banana.

IMO I don't think there is any place for any types of crystal malts in a hefe of any sort, if you want it a bit darker then add a bit of dehusked carafa or choclate wheat just for color. It also seems like your recipe is a bit strong about 1.050 OG is mid point for the style.

+Quote Post
kenlenard
post Oct 8 2008, 09:19 PM
Post #3

Brewmaster

Member No.: 892

QUOTE(Jon DeBrewman @ Oct 8 2008, 07:55 PM) *
IMO I don't think there is any place for any types of crystal malts in a hefe of any sort.

Remember that this is a Dunkel Weissbier and I think that crystal is reasonable here. I have a recipe that I have made numerous times and it's based on Edelweiss Dunkelweiss. It's pilsner, wheat, 6 oz of crystal 60, 4 oz of caramunich and 2-3 oz of honey malt. 1 addition of Hallertau Mittelfruh 4.6% for 60 minutes. The carafa will give the beer a slightly roasty flavor and a little goes a very long way. You show 2 ounces which will go a long way to getting to that 18 SRM number. The only difference in mine is that I didn't want the banana & clove profile so I used Wyeast 1007 German Ale which is wonderful. It may not be a Dunkelweiss because of that yeast substitution... it's certainly a cleaner-tasting beer.

The difference in the yeasts you mentioned (3056 and 3068) are: 3056 is less banana and more clove and 3068 is over the top banana, especially at warmer temps. I was at a homebrewing event at Miller Park in Milwaukee in late September and someone brought a hefe made with 3068. I could have sworn he put bananas in the mash. Either 3056 or 3068 will make a good DW, it's up to you to decide what profile you want. Cheers and good luck.

This post has been edited by kenlenard: Oct 8 2008, 09:21 PM

+Quote Post
Yeasty Boy
post Oct 8 2008, 10:42 PM
Post #4

Brewmaster

Member No.: 1,954

I'd lose the crystal myself. Belgian debittered black works well for color if you can't find carafa I or II. 2oz is about right, though you could even double it; neither of those malts is going to get you very roasty at that level. 50% wheat and 50% Munich then the touch of dark will put you in the color range, and still give you a crisp and refreshing dunkelweizen. Feel free to sub some of the wheat and/or Munich with Weyermann dark wheat. It's sort of a "munich-ey" wheat malt. OG 1.052-54, ~15 IBU of something noble at 60m. WLP Hefe IV is my choice for this style. Whichever you choose, look up what temps people are getting the range of banana/clove and dial in where you think you want yours to be. The Hefe IV isn't so pronounced, and has a nice blend of the two at around 68. But be careful: wheat beers of any gravity tend to take off like rockets, and the temps can climb 3, 4, 5 above ambient within a few hours.

+Quote Post
Dewdad
post Oct 20 2008, 04:48 PM
Post #5

Group: New Member
Member No.: 13,198

Did you ever brew your Dunkelweizen? If so how did it turn out?

I have been considering brewing one for over a month now. Commercially I like Erdinger the best. I hate to admit it but recently I tried a Michelob Dunkelweizen I saw at the local bottle shop. Believe it or not it was pretty good.

I have done a bit of studying lately and (in my opinion) the use of roasted malts are not appropriate. The idea behind the color is to add some flavor. I am not sure that the Carafa Special will really do that. I think the color and flavor may also come (partially) from a decoction.

I listen to Jamil too (maybe too much) and have the utmost resepct for what he has done and what he is doing. I don't agree with the Carafa in this or the Weizenbock. I do think Hallertau or any Nobel variety or derivitive is good (Tetnang, Saaz, Liberty, Mt Hood, Crystal, Magnum).

I think the use of Munich can be appropriate I just don't know how much. I am still pondering its use.

If you listen to "The Session" from April 13, 2008, Dan Gordon (Gordon Biersch) lists the ingredients of his Dunkelweizen as Dark Wheat, White Wheat, Pilsner and Cara-Wheat. You can get these ingredients at Northern Brewer. Dan mentions that the Dark Wheat is critical to getting the proper color. He lists proportions for each but I don't recall exactly what they were. I did start to formulate a recipe from it but modified it a little. I was thinking along the lines of:

40% Dark Wheat
15% White Wheat
5% Cara-Wheat
40% Pilsner

As I thnk about it now I may scrap all of the white wheat and go with 55% Dark wheat.

For yeast I highly recommend Wyeast 3068 or WLP300. Ferment at 62 to 65. (I have used this yeast before in my Hefe's and it does very well at 62 Degrees.) Also pitch a couple of degrees cooler than your target ferment temp.

I did buy some Wyeast 3638 to see how it does. I'm hoping to brew this Saturday. I will likely ferment this yeast at closer to 65 or 67.

Also I noticed Northern Brewer has a kit for DW so I decided to see what was in it. Here are the ingredients.

Kit Inventory

Fermentables
5 lbs. Weyermann Dark Wheat
3.5 lbs. Durst Pilsen
1 lbs. Durst Dark Munich 40 EBC
0.5 lbs. Weyermann Caramunich II
0.25 lbs. Dingemans Special B

Boil Additions
1 oz. Tettnang (60 min)

If you choose dry yeast
Safbrew WB-06. Optimum temperature: 59-75 F.

If you choose liquid yeast
Wyeast #3333 German Wheat Yeast. Optimum temperature: 63-75 F.

Mash Schedule
153 F for 60 minutes
170 F for 10 minutes

Cheers,

Chris

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st October 2020 - 10:41 AM