Reply to this topicStart new topic
> This is my new fall project.
kbhale
post Oct 10 2008, 11:32 PM
Post #1

Brewmaster

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,025

This is my new fall project. Lot of hard work but someone has to drink them.
(IMG:http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/8827/10108002bj0.th.jpg)

Plan to take the dregs from all of them combined to make a starter. I doubt if the Schwartz will add much.

the recipe will go like this

75% 2-roll
15% Wheat
5% Rye
5% Sugar

EK Goldings @ 60
Saaz @60
Ginger Root fresh oz per 5 gal @ 10
Orange peel fresh oz per 5 gal @ 10

OG 1.075
IBU 25
ABV 7-8%
Age 6 months to a year.

Just finished the Hennepin and the dregs are in the starter wort. Good stuff. Corsendonk Abbey brown ale is next.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kbhale
post Oct 12 2008, 12:14 AM
Post #2

Brewmaster

Soaken 20 lb of apples in bug beer. My bug beer is to hoppy. Going to let it set on the apples for 24 hours let them get a go infection going, then I'll drain the beer and refill with less hoppy Wheat beer.
Hope this well be done by July. I'll check it once the apples get eaten.

(IMG:http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/3007/10118007ua5.th.jpg)

All six of the dregs are on the stir plate now. The Chimay and Duvel had a good noticeable amount of settlement. If I get some good results I'll dump it in the bug barrel then step it up again for this coming weekend brew.

The Hennepin I will buy again. The Corsendonik for a brown ale I would buy. Chimay and Duvel both good but not as good as Hennepin. Kriek a disappointment just seemed artificial in taste. Schwartz just a good every day beer. I have a keg of Something Black I'd rather drink.

These six bottles cost me $50.61. The Kriek was $7 and the Schwarz $ 5 both a waste of money for my taste. But all worth it, if I can get a starter going. I want to develop a good house yeast for Wheat beers.

All the bottles I can reuse. I've not corked beers before. Something new to learn.

I like my bug barrel. Every time I make beer I have a little left over after filling the kegs. I can put the left over in the bug barrel. When I use beer from the bug barrel, I can brew the replacement to balance it out. Sweet!

+Quote Post
kbhale
post Oct 12 2008, 12:48 AM
Post #3

Brewmaster

My bug barrel at this time is a 50 gallon. I'm putting the word out so maybe Santa will bring me 3 30 gallon barrels or 3 20 gallon. One needs three barrels to properly make Sour / funky beers. A fourth for an archive would be sweet but a keg would do.

+Quote Post
ChicagoWaterGuy
post Oct 12 2008, 08:52 AM
Post #4

Brewer

Member No.: 11,219

QUOTE(kbhale @ Oct 12 2008, 12:48 AM) *
One needs three barrels to properly make Sour / funky beers. A fourth for an archive would be sweet but a keg would do.

Please explain.

+Quote Post
kbhale
post Oct 12 2008, 07:11 PM
Post #5

Brewmaster

Sorry, no quick simple answer other than preference on how I plan to do it. I want to be able to have a keg of sour beer in my kegerator most of the time and have different choices. Sour beer takes a long time to ferment out and age, may take 6 months to 1+ years. Bulk aging in 3 barrels would let me keep enough properly aged Sour beer ready to keg and drink. I think I could drink 30 gallon of sour beer in six months. If I fill all 3 barrels. Waited 6 months before I start drinking the first barrel The second barrel will be a year old. The third barrel 1 1/2 years old. The first barrel when I get back to it a year old? the second

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th January 2023 - 11:26 AM