Reply to this topicStart new topic
> So, couple of questions, regarding "swear words"
PopCultureRefere...
post Oct 31 2008, 03:38 PM
Post #1

Brewmaster

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,852

I know we can't use words like the "F" word here. But are we not allowed to use the word with some of the characters replaced by asterisks or whatnot? Can I not say "f**king"?

Also, when a mod edits that out, shouldn't he put one of those "[mod edit]" tags in, so we know what happened?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MtnBrewer
post Oct 31 2008, 03:42 PM
Post #2

Brewmaster

Group: banned
Member No.: 937

QUOTE(FolsomPrisonBrews @ Oct 31 2008, 02:38 PM) *
I know we can't use words like the "F" word here. But are we not allowed to use the word with some of the characters replaced by asterisks or whatnot? Can I not say "f**king"?

Wouldn't that be considered intentionally misspelling a word to subvert the filter?

QUOTE(FolsomPrisonBrews @ Oct 31 2008, 02:38 PM) *
Also, when a mod edits that out, shouldn't he put one of those "[mod edit]" tags in, so we know what happened?

It's funnier this way.

+Quote Post
PopCultureRefere...
post Oct 31 2008, 03:47 PM
Post #3

Brewmaster

QUOTE(MtnBrewer @ Oct 31 2008, 03:42 PM) *
Wouldn't that be considered intentionally misspelling a word to subvert the filter?
It's funnier this way.

No, I don't think so. Replacing characters in words with symbols is a time-honored tradition, both here and elsewhere.

For example, when searching for "f**king"... I get a whole page of unedited results:

http://www.brewboard.com/index.php?act=Sea...92;*\*king

Not that its a huge dea, I just want to know what the rules are, and it would be nice of the proprietors to enforce them fairly.

+Quote Post
MtnBrewer
post Oct 31 2008, 03:48 PM
Post #4

Brewmaster

QUOTE(FolsomPrisonBrews @ Oct 31 2008, 02:47 PM) *
I just want to know what the rules are

Then maybe you should read them.

+Quote Post
PopCultureRefere...
post Oct 31 2008, 04:01 PM
Post #5

Brewmaster

QUOTE(MtnBrewer @ Oct 31 2008, 03:48 PM) *
Then maybe you should read them.

I just went and brushed up on them. I don't see anything that refers to this.

Maybe if its unclear to me, then its unclear to other people as well. In fact it obviously is, given how often people do it. So can I suggest that you update and clarify the rules?

+Quote Post
MtnBrewer
post Oct 31 2008, 04:02 PM
Post #6

Brewmaster

QUOTE(FolsomPrisonBrews @ Oct 31 2008, 03:01 PM) *
I just went and brushed up on them. I don't see anything that refers to this.

Maybe if its unclear to me, then its unclear to other people as well. In fact it obviously is, given how often people do it. So can I suggest that you update and clarify the rules?

What's unclear about "No vulgar or sexual pictures (including avatars) or language are allowed. This includes links to external material. We are adults here, so PG-13ish language is tolerated, but we must also be respectful of others. Intentionally misspelling words to subvert filters may result in immediate limitations to your access."?

Modding your post is actually cutting you a break. If you like, we can just go ahead and suspend your posting privileges instead. Your call.

+Quote Post
PopCultureRefere...
post Oct 31 2008, 04:10 PM
Post #7

Brewmaster

QUOTE(MtnBrewer @ Oct 31 2008, 04:02 PM) *
What's unclear about "No vulgar or sexual pictures (including avatars) or language are allowed. This includes links to external material. We are adults here, so PG-13ish language is tolerated, but we must also be respectful of others. Intentionally misspelling words to subvert filters may result in immediate limitations to your access."?

Modding your post is actually cutting you a break. If you like, we can just go ahead and suspend your posting privileges instead. Your call.

Am I to take that to mean that I shouldn't inquire about these things?

People use the "B*d W*rd" method here all the time. I didn't think it was intentionally misspelling words in order to defeat a filter, especially since people do it here all the time without getting edited. If you want to ban me for trying to get a clarification on that, go ahead.

+Quote Post
MtnBrewer
post Oct 31 2008, 04:12 PM
Post #8

Brewmaster

QUOTE(FolsomPrisonBrews @ Oct 31 2008, 03:10 PM) *
Am I to take that to mean that I shouldn't inquire about these things?

People use the "B*d W*rd" method here all the time. I didn't think it was intentionally misspelling words in order to defeat a filter, especially since people do it here all the time without getting edited. If you want to ban me for trying to get a clarification on that, go ahead.

Not trying to ban you for anything. You said that wasn't clear. I asked what wasn't clear. You ignored the question. Your turn now.

+Quote Post
PopCultureRefere...
post Oct 31 2008, 04:18 PM
Post #9

Brewmaster

QUOTE(MtnBrewer @ Oct 31 2008, 04:12 PM) *
Not trying to ban you for anything. You said that wasn't clear. I asked what wasn't clear. You ignored the question. Your turn now.

I didn't ignore the question. I gave you a search page with about a dozen instances of people saying "f**cking" that never got edited. We can go and look for other words, too.

Here's 4 pages of threads with the word "sh*t" in them.

http://www.brewboard.com/index.php?act=Sea...lite=sh\*t

2 pages of "f*ck" results.

http://www.brewboard.com/index.php?act=Sea...lite=f\*ck

Just clarify the rules if that's not allowed. Having a mod edit your post for something I've never seen a mod edit for, when that mod has made it no secret that he doesn't like me, and then not even leaving a "[mod edit]" tag behind bothers me a little. Then having you threaten to ban me bothers me more.

+Quote Post
MtnBrewer
post Oct 31 2008, 04:22 PM
Post #10

Brewmaster

QUOTE(FolsomPrisonBrews @ Oct 31 2008, 03:18 PM) *
Just clarify the rules if that's not allowed. Having a mod edit your post for something I've never seen a mod edit for, when that mod has made it no secret that he doesn't like me, and then not even leaving a "[mod edit]" tag behind bothers me a little. Then having you threaten to ban me bothers me more.

So then is it your assertion that the correct spelling of the word is "f**k"? If not, I still don't see what it is that needs to be clarified.

If you don't like the way the post was edited, don't make me edit it. Also, I didn't threaten to ban you. I just pointed out that you were getting a break by only getting modded.

+Quote Post
psolio
post Nov 1 2008, 02:09 AM
Post #11

Brewer

Member No.: 2,594

QUOTE(MtnBrewer @ Oct 31 2008, 02:42 PM) *

No, I don't think so. In FPB's examples, he is censoring himself. "F**k" is a censored version of the original word. Intentionally misspelling a word to subvert a filter would be "fck" or "|= |_| ( |<" or "kunt" etc.

I always thought it was stupid to have a filter for the self censored terms, like "Ғ'in"

+Quote Post
MtnBrewer
post Nov 1 2008, 09:39 AM
Post #12

Brewmaster

QUOTE(psolio @ Nov 1 2008, 01:09 AM) *
No, I don't think so. In FPB's examples, he is censoring himself. "F**k" is a censored version of the original word. Intentionally misspelling a word to subvert a filter would be "fck" or "|= |_| ( |<" or "kunt" etc.

I always thought it was stupid to have a filter for the self censored terms, like "Ғ'in"

But it's not censoring. Everybody knows what word he's referring to. Everybody knows what word f'in stands for too. Here's the deal: you can't use that word. You just can't. Whether that's right or fair is a different debate but as the rules are written right now, you cannot use that word. If you alter it to get it past the filter, then technically that's a violation of Rule 7. So use a different word. With all the words in the English language, I'm sure we can find a different way to express ourselves.

Just for the record, the word doesn't bother me personally in the least. I use it all the time; probably too often. I'm not being prudish, just trying to uphold the rules that our proprietors, as FPB put it, have established.

+Quote Post
Chauvan
post Nov 1 2008, 01:19 PM
Post #13

Brewmaster

Member No.: 1,251

Does anybody else find it ironic that in this thread, that it's chock full o' F*ck? (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
dmtaylor
post Nov 1 2008, 01:32 PM
Post #14

Brewmaster

Member No.: 9,280

I'll point out that there are other forums out there, one of which in particular, where you can say whatever the F you want. Personally, I frequent all kinds of forums, but the Brewboard here is one of my favorites. Sometimes it is refreshing to go to a forum where they swear all the time. Other times, it is refreshing to come back to this one where we are better behaved. Whatever suits your fancy. If you don't like it here, there are other fish in the sea. I like 'em all.

+Quote Post
IronGuillotine
post Nov 1 2008, 02:01 PM
Post #15

Brewer

Member No.: 10,469

QUOTE(psolio @ Nov 1 2008, 12:09 AM) *

That's how I feel about it as well. It's something akin to substituting a "beep" in place of part of the word when on air. You still hear the "F" but then the rest is just "beeep". Obviously you know what the word is anyway but that makes no difference. It's still censorship. To me, it's as plain and simple as that. The purpose is not to subvert the filter. The purpose is to take a bit of the harshness out of the word and possibly mask it altogether from young kids. Anyway, despite my own opinion, I'll try to respect opinions and wishes of the board as best as I can.

This post has been edited by IronGuillotine: Nov 1 2008, 02:03 PM

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd December 2021 - 09:02 AM