IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Black Currant Mel, IS this idea worth trying?
Shoal Man
post Nov 17 2008, 07:00 PM
Post #1

Assistant Brewer

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,692

I was visiting a Russian Grocery store this weekend and I found they had Black Currant juice on sale. The juice has no preservatives or added sugar and is made from concentrated juice. I bought a bottle (0.93 Liter bottles on sale for $2.99) and tested the gravity. It measured 1.052. I'm not very familiar with currents, but this juice was nice and very tart, which I assume is because of the acidity. So I thought about using it for a mel.

11 bottles of the stuff plus 5.5 lbs of honey should give me an OG of 1.106 with a volume of ~ 3.2 gallons. I thought about using D-47, because I can get it locally, and then probably back-sweetening before bottling.

1) Is this an idea worth pursuing? or is making a mel from store bought juice probably not worth the effort or the money?

2) What honey might work well here? I can get Orange Blossom, Clover, and Tupelo pretty easily.

3) In the complete meadmaker, Schramm warns that currents are very acidic and to adjust your recipes accordingly? I'm not completely sure what he means here. Does he mean to plan on adding CaCO3 or KCO3, or does he mean that backsweetening will help balance the tartness?

Thanks
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th September 2018 - 10:54 AM