Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Three different ciders going...
ThirdOfNine
post Dec 17 2008, 04:23 PM
Post #1

Homebrewer

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,133

Hey all...I haven't brewed in a while, but I went hog wild today! I got 6 gallons of unpasteurized, unpreserved cider from a local mill and 5 gallons of natural apple juice from concentrate. Here is the lowdown...

Cider #1: 5 gallons cider
4 tsp yeast nutrient
Lalvin K1-V1116 yeast

Cider #2 5 Gallons Juice
4 tsp yeast nutrient
Lalvin K1-V1116 yeast

Cider #3 1 gallon cider
approx. 1/2 tsp nutrient

Obviously with this yeast I am looking for a very dry cider, and wanted to try 2 batches side by side for comparison. I didn't want to add any sugar not natural to the cider, although lots of recipes call for it. I plan on using about 1 cup of wildflower honey to prime each batch for a sparkling result. I might also add 1/3 to 1/2 of a cinnamon stick to some of the bottles (Grolsch style flip tops) to give it a little spice.
For the Cider #3 I am going to see what the result will be using the natural wild yeast. With my luck, it will be the best and I will only have a gallon of it to enjoy!
I didn't use a hydrometer because I didn't want to alter the sg of the must to begin with, and I'm not too concerned about the alcohol content at the end (I know it will be pretty strong, and I will be able to judge after I've downed a few).
Any comments or suggestions are welcome, and I will update as they progress...
-Don
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Llama34
post Jul 27 2009, 05:38 PM
Post #2

Brewer

Member No.: 2,374

QUOTE(ThirdOfNine @ Dec 17 2008, 05:23 PM) *
Hey all...I haven't brewed in a while, but I went hog wild today! I got 6 gallons of unpasteurized, unpreserved cider from a local mill and 5 gallons of natural apple juice from concentrate. Here is the lowdown...

Cider #1: 5 gallons cider
4 tsp yeast nutrient
Lalvin K1-V1116 yeast

Cider #2 5 Gallons Juice
4 tsp yeast nutrient
Lalvin K1-V1116 yeast

Cider #3 1 gallon cider
approx. 1/2 tsp nutrient

Obviously with this yeast I am looking for a very dry cider, and wanted to try 2 batches side by side for comparison. I didn't want to add any sugar not natural to the cider, although lots of recipes call for it. I plan on using about 1 cup of wildflower honey to prime each batch for a sparkling result. I might also add 1/3 to 1/2 of a cinnamon stick to some of the bottles (Grolsch style flip tops) to give it a little spice.
For the Cider #3 I am going to see what the result will be using the natural wild yeast. With my luck, it will be the best and I will only have a gallon of it to enjoy!
I didn't use a hydrometer because I didn't want to alter the sg of the must to begin with, and I'm not too concerned about the alcohol content at the end (I know it will be pretty strong, and I will be able to judge after I've downed a few).
Any comments or suggestions are welcome, and I will update as they progress...
-Don

Any updates on how this experiment came along?

+Quote Post
TheBrewingMan10
post Nov 29 2009, 07:33 PM
Post #3

Homebrewer

Member No.: 10,246

Let us know how the cinnamon stick addition works out. I'm interested in seeing what I could use at the bottling stage to spice up individual ciders.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th July 2018 - 08:33 AM