Forum Rules PLEASE READ Before Submitting Recipes for Review
> Help with an IPA, First step away from kits
swingerwc
post Jan 12 2009, 01:28 PM
Post #1

Stewart

Group: New Member
Member No.: 13,744

I'm getting really bored of the kits and have read a decent amount that I think I'm ready to take the plunge into expirimenting and designing my own beers. I'm going to focus on IPA's for a couple of batches. I have taken a look at quite a few IPA recipes to get some ideas and I think I have come up with something to get me started.. let me know what you think.

8 pounds of Pale Malt LME
2 pounds of Crystal 20L
1 pound of Wildflower Honey

Hops - 60min boil (in order)
2 ounces of Columbus
3 ounces of Centennial
2 ounces of Cascade (dry hopping 1/2 ounce in secondary)

Wyeast 1272 American Ale II

Any input is appreciated!

This post has been edited by swingerwc: Jan 12 2009, 01:30 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
LStaff
post Jan 13 2009, 11:28 AM
Post #2

Brewer

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,790

Don't let the crystal malt has no business in IPA police disuade you. With the honey addition, you should get enough dryness if you brew your recipe - depends on your target FG.

But since its your first, I would keep it simple and drop the honey - if you do that, then you want to lower the amount of crystal to < 7% of total grainbill weight. Or use a combo of crystal and carapils.

Plan on using 2+ oz. for dryhopping if you want something with good hop aroma/flavor.

This post has been edited by LStaff: Jan 13 2009, 11:29 AM

+Quote Post
TheProfessor
post Dec 7 2016, 10:15 PM
Post #3

Brewer

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,347

QUOTE(LStaff @ Jan 13 2009, 11:28 AM) *
Don't let the crystal malt has no business in IPA police disuade you. With the honey addition, you should get enough dryness if you brew your recipe - depends on your target FG.

But since its your first, I would keep it simple and drop the honey - if you do that, then you want to lower the amount of crystal to < 7% of total grainbill weight. Or use a combo of crystal and carapils.

Plan on using 2+ oz. for dryhopping if you want something with good hop aroma/flavor.

I agree.
I woudn't even think of brewing my IPA without some crystal malt (and dark Munich malt as well)...it helps balance things out and brings it into the proper color range as well.

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th August 2018 - 11:56 PM