Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Help with an IPA, First step away from kits
swingerwc
post Jan 12 2009, 01:28 PM
Post #1

Stewart

Group: New Member
Member No.: 13,744

I'm getting really bored of the kits and have read a decent amount that I think I'm ready to take the plunge into expirimenting and designing my own beers. I'm going to focus on IPA's for a couple of batches. I have taken a look at quite a few IPA recipes to get some ideas and I think I have come up with something to get me started.. let me know what you think.

8 pounds of Pale Malt LME
2 pounds of Crystal 20L
1 pound of Wildflower Honey

Hops - 60min boil (in order)
2 ounces of Columbus
3 ounces of Centennial
2 ounces of Cascade (dry hopping 1/2 ounce in secondary)

Wyeast 1272 American Ale II

Any input is appreciated!

This post has been edited by swingerwc: Jan 12 2009, 01:30 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MtnBrewer
post Jan 12 2009, 02:24 PM
Post #2

Brewmaster

Group: banned
Member No.: 937

Way too much crystal. Can't really comment on anything else since you didn't specify how you want this IPA to taste.

+Quote Post
sirwillliam
post Jan 12 2009, 02:28 PM
Post #3

Brewer

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,538

Hops look alright, but i would use one ounce of that centennial for dryhop. I'm guessing the timing on that hop schedule is 60, 15, 5 or 60, 20, flameout. The grain bill could use some trimming. I would probably use a half pound of crystal and cut the honey because you wont really be able to notice it behind all the hops. You could use up to a pound to get some added richness, but lots of crystal doesn't go well with lots of citrusy hops. If you want to use some sugar just use corn sugar instead of honey.

+Quote Post
JReigle
post Jan 12 2009, 07:31 PM
Post #4

Assistant Brewer

Member No.: 11,844

QUOTE(swingerwc @ Jan 12 2009, 10:28 AM) *
8 pounds of Pale Malt LME
2 pounds of Crystal 20L
1 pound of Wildflower Honey

Hops - 60min boil (in order)
2 ounces of Columbus
3 ounces of Centennial
2 ounces of Cascade (dry hopping 1/2 ounce in secondary)

I would drop the crystal to .5lb or eliminate it altogether since it generally gets in the way of the hops. Also would most likely get rid of the honey and bump the LME by a pound or so.

Are you intending all these hops for a 60 minute addition except what you're dryhopping? Sorry, but it's not clear from your recipe. I would do something like 2oz columbus @ 60, 1.5oz centennial & 1 oz cascade @ 10 & flame-out, then dry hop 1 oz of either of these three hops.

This post has been edited by JReigle: Jan 12 2009, 07:36 PM

+Quote Post
LStaff
post Jan 13 2009, 11:28 AM
Post #5

Brewer

Member No.: 9,790

Don't let the crystal malt has no business in IPA police disuade you. With the honey addition, you should get enough dryness if you brew your recipe - depends on your target FG.

But since its your first, I would keep it simple and drop the honey - if you do that, then you want to lower the amount of crystal to < 7% of total grainbill weight. Or use a combo of crystal and carapils.

Plan on using 2+ oz. for dryhopping if you want something with good hop aroma/flavor.

This post has been edited by LStaff: Jan 13 2009, 11:29 AM

+Quote Post
MtnBrewer
post Jan 13 2009, 12:04 PM
Post #6

Brewmaster

Police.

Right. (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/sarcasm.gif)

+Quote Post
earthtone
post Jan 13 2009, 01:09 PM
Post #7

Brewmaster

Member No.: 12,118

haha well use that much crystal if you want to taste caramel with every sip........if you want a nice dry IPA with a big hop kick then follow the advice of dropping the crystal down.....again you'll get plenty of unfermentables in the extract. I brewed KenLenard's pale ale recipe with a pound of crystal malt in it and there is a delicious soft caramel taste in every sip but it works with that style....I'm not a fan of caramelly IPA's so maybe decide for yourself what you are looking for in terms of a flavour profile and repost it so we can help you....otherwise we will all tell you what we would do if this was OUR beer....according to how we like it, which ultimately defeats the fun of YOU making your own recipe to be proud of!

+Quote Post
swingerwc
post Jan 14 2009, 12:27 AM
Post #8

Stewart

So I got to say thank you all for your feedback!

I wish I had listened more and asked further questions, but I was way too excited to brew my very own recipe that a slight bit of arrogance came over me and I rushed out to the brew supply this afternoon.

Sitting here now at my computer 1 hr after having brewed somthing similar to what I decribed above I realize how I just ruined my first recipe.

Here is the crime against homebrew:

8 lbs of Palt Malt Extract
24 Ounces of Raw Honey
(ditched the crystal)

started 60 min hop schedule

and are you ready for this because it will probably make you go nutz...
(don't know why I got so caught up in making this so complicated and just wrong.. just excited i geuss haha!)

60min 1 ounce of Columbus
51:30min 1/2 ounce of Columbus (yeah.. why?)
45min 1/2 ounce of Centennial
1/2 ounce of Columbus
30min 1/2 ounce of Centennial
1/2 ounce of Cascade
15min 1/2 ounce of Centenial
1/2 ounce of Cascade
1min 1/2 ounce of Centennial
1/2 ounce of Cascade

I added Yeast nutrient to the last 10 min
and the honey and some orange zest at flameout
pitched WLP001 California Ale at 80degF
And I WAS planning on DryHopping the last 1/2 ounce of Cascade into the secondary

OG: 1.061
6gallons total

Lets just say I learned my lesson.

Sitting here now I realize that I haven't nearly enough malt to balance the extreme IBU's (some 160 probably) let alone the fact that I just ruined the batch by putting in way too many hops in the first 30 min.
I'm geussing the first taste of it will likely turn my face inside out!

Anyways I guess live and learn.
Hey on the bright side it was my own right? hahaha

...Say there wouldn't be anyway to dampen the bitterness would there? Perhaps adding somthing to the secondary.. do i dare suggest honey hahaha!

+Quote Post
sirwillliam
post Jan 14 2009, 12:09 PM
Post #9

Brewer

Member No.: 11,538

Theres not much you can do after the fact to improve a beer, especially an ipa. With darker, maltier beers you could add lactose or back sweeten with something else, but you may find that you enjoy your bitter, dry ipa. There is a theory i hear alot that your tongue can only detect about 100 ibus. I've had some really hoppy beers, and have yet to find one that was too bitter to enjoy. If nothing else, just let it age or you can brew a compliment to this beer to be blended. If its all bitterness, you could brew up a malty simple beer with lots of late hops and blend it to get a nice balanced IPA.

+Quote Post
MtnBrewer
post Jan 14 2009, 12:17 PM
Post #10

Brewmaster

QUOTE(sirwillliam @ Jan 14 2009, 10:09 AM) *
There is a theory i hear alot that your tongue can only detect about 100 ibus.

I hear that theory too but I don't think it really matters because iso-alpha acids are only soluble to around 100-120 ppm anyway (depending on the gravity).

As for the beer, you probably maxed out around 120 IBUs, I'd guess. About the only thing you could do to try to fix it is add some sweetness to try to balance out the bitterness. In my experience, it's better to accept your mistakes and fix them in the next batch. Trying to correct a batch gone wrong generally just makes it worse. And who knows...as sirwilliam said, you may like it just fine the way it is.

+Quote Post
BDawg
post Jan 14 2009, 08:59 PM
Post #11

Homebrewer

Member No.: 13,095

Brew a Blonde ale, to the same gravity, maybe add some light caramunich malt (30L) and a 1/2 lb of Victory, to only about 30 IBUs (try Amarilo or Simcoe for variety) and blend them 50-50.

HTH-

+Quote Post
swingerwc
post May 15 2012, 12:18 AM
Post #12

Stewart

Wow! this is a little wierd to be following up to this post so far from.. back then. Anyways the IPA I made when I first made this post came out spectacular! Now mind you this was a dry IPS, but it really had some body to it in a sense of the hop aromas and flavor. Lots of floral and citrus notes, mind you it was most certainly bitter, but like the others who have posted above it really didn't make it "unenjoyable." I have since really taken sample to other IPA's and have to say that the one I made is quite possibly in my top 5! It may not be what most look for in an IPA but i found what I was looking for when I made this recipe.. very satisfied. NOW I come back to it and Ive changed up some things... Im making it more high gravity, adding 2 extra pounds of malt, and changing the hops up a bit. Im not finding the raw honey that i prefer to use so i may omit it in luie of bitter orange peel.

here is the recipie and i would appreciate any advice.. im confindent that I will like this and i'm not too worried about conforming to stylee but if someone sees anything in here that gives them the creeps let me know please. I need help with the hop schedule... i was considering a 45 min boil but im not sure.. in MY theory i could keep the IBU's down while keeping the flavor and aroma prevelance of the hops up.

10 lbs pale LME
2lbs honey (possibly)
*some* bitter orange peel
2 lbs honey malt
2oz columbus
2oz cascade (dry hop 1 ounce if i decided to use an ounce of the citra towards the end of the boil)
2 0z citra (dry hop 1-2oz
wlp001 california yeast

thanks guys for any imput!!!!!!!

This post has been edited by swingerwc: May 15 2012, 12:19 AM

+Quote Post
Vinman
post Mar 6 2013, 11:37 AM
Post #13

Homebrewer

Member No.: 1,971

As an aside, there are some free brewing podcasts available in the iTunes store if you have an iDevice. I'm in my car a lot and have picked up a lot of good information by listening to podcasts.

+Quote Post
TheProfessor
post Dec 7 2016, 10:15 PM
Post #14

Brewer

Member No.: 12,347

QUOTE(LStaff @ Jan 13 2009, 11:28 AM) *
Don't let the crystal malt has no business in IPA police disuade you. With the honey addition, you should get enough dryness if you brew your recipe - depends on your target FG.

But since its your first, I would keep it simple and drop the honey - if you do that, then you want to lower the amount of crystal to < 7% of total grainbill weight. Or use a combo of crystal and carapils.

Plan on using 2+ oz. for dryhopping if you want something with good hop aroma/flavor.

I agree.
I woudn't even think of brewing my IPA without some crystal malt (and dark Munich malt as well)...it helps balance things out and brings it into the proper color range as well.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th November 2018 - 11:42 AM