Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Whitbread Flowers Original Ale..., ... an English Pale Ale
kenlenard
post Feb 20 2009, 11:12 PM
Post #1

Brewmaster

Group: Members
Member No.: 892

After some trouble (4 bad batches! (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/omg.gif) ) I am looking to stock back up in the next few weeks. I have the ingredients for this beer, right down to the slightly out-of-the-ordinary English yeast. I plan to make this beer one day next week and I have been planning to make it for awhile. Beer Captured describes it thusly: Whitbread Original is a lovely, medium-bodied session beer, almost delicate in taste. The autumnal-colored amber beer pours into the glass with a light beige, tightly beaded head. lemon scented hops on the nose are balanced with sweet malt. Spicy, fruity hops intermingle in the mouth, socializing with bready malt. This easy-drinking bitter finishes bittersweet and hoppy. A wonderful beer to share with friends on a lazy afternoon.

I did have to slightly adjust the hops (subbing out Target with Kents that I have), but all the numbers are right there.

Whitbread Original

7.50 lbs UK Pale Malt
14 oz British Crystal 55L
4 oz Torrified Wheat

1 oz Styrian Goldings @ 3.5% plus oz Kent Goldings 4.2% for 60 minutes (5.6 AAU)
oz Styrian Goldings 3.5% for 15 minutes
oz Styrian Goldings 3.5% plus oz Kent Goldings 4.2% for 1 minute

Wyeast 1099 Whitbread Ale yeast

OG: 1.049, FG: 1.012, IBU: 31, SRM: 9, ABV: 4.8%

Cheers!

This post has been edited by kenlenard: Feb 20 2009, 11:15 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kenlenard
post Mar 3 2009, 05:03 PM
Post #2

Brewmaster

I brewed this beer on 2/26 with Wyeast 1099 Whitbread Ale yeast and the aroma coming from the airlock is amazing. I don't know if it's a combination of these 2 hops or the Whitbread strain or all of it. It's one of the best smelling "fermenting-aroma-through-the-airlock" beers I have ever experienced. It will be in secondary early next week and then into a keg. I will post back.

+Quote Post
earthtone
post Mar 4 2009, 10:34 AM
Post #3

Brewmaster

Member No.: 12,118

Hey Ken, that looks like a great recipe! I am currently brewing an english pale that was all 2-Row and some Northern Brewer and EKG and I am fermenting it with S-04 - I think that is a whitebread strain too? Do you know how close S-04 is to something like Wyeast 1099? The smells coming from mine are amazing too, I really like it - a kinda of bready, sweet........yummy aroma.

+Quote Post
kenlenard
post Mar 4 2009, 12:58 PM
Post #4

Brewmaster

QUOTE(earthtone @ Mar 4 2009, 11:34 AM) *
Hey Ken, that looks like a great recipe! I am currently brewing an english pale that was all 2-Row and some Northern Brewer and EKG and I am fermenting it with S-04 - I think that is a whitebread strain too? Do you know how close S-04 is to something like Wyeast 1099? The smells coming from mine are amazing too, I really like it - a kinda of bready, sweet........yummy aroma.

Yes, that does sound right but I'm not sure which of the dry yeasts are from Whitbread. It's a really nice bready aroma (as you mentioned) and it's a strain that you don't hear about too often. I like 1028 for the same bready aroma and flavor, but 1028 is a little more minerally. This 1099 is supposed to be a high-floccer too so I'm expecting clear beer, as usual. (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/sarcasm.gif) Cheers.

+Quote Post
earthtone
post Mar 4 2009, 05:05 PM
Post #5

Brewmaster

sounds about right, mine has only been in primary for about 6 days and it has gone from a hazy hazy yellow to a damn near clear carboy....I dunno how but it's sitting right next to an IPA that has had 14 days and not only are there less SRMs in this one, the yeast has flocc'd like crizzazzy.

It'll be interesting to hear how your batch comes out with a little crystal and wheat and the UK pale malt, and a difference in hops...keep us updated as it comes along!

+Quote Post
timmytes
post Mar 5 2009, 08:55 PM
Post #6

Homebrewer

Member No.: 10,682

Couldn't you leave out the Torrified Wheat if your going all grain...Wouldn't that be for head retention on an extract brew.....

+Quote Post
kenlenard
post Mar 5 2009, 09:23 PM
Post #7

Brewmaster

QUOTE(timmytes @ Mar 5 2009, 09:55 PM) *
Couldn't you leave out the Torrified Wheat if your going all grain...Wouldn't that be for head retention on an extract brew.....

I believe that torrified grains are considered "adjuncts" and they do improve head stability and mouthfeel in beers. But they typically have to be mashed which makes them more common in AG beers than in extract beers. Torrified wheat seems to be pretty common in English bitters and pale ales... many of the recipes I see for these styles include torrified wheat. Cheers.

+Quote Post
earthtone
post Mar 6 2009, 10:03 AM
Post #8

Brewmaster

what does the torrified wheat contribute over malted, flaked or even unmalted wheat berries?? Is it a distinguishable taste, or is the addition limited more to the body, head retention aspects without imparting a wheat flavour?

+Quote Post
kenlenard
post Mar 6 2009, 02:56 PM
Post #9

Brewmaster

QUOTE(earthtone @ Mar 6 2009, 11:03 AM) *
what does the torrified wheat contribute over malted, flaked or even unmalted wheat berries?? Is it a distinguishable taste, or is the addition limited more to the body, head retention aspects without imparting a wheat flavour?

I think it's all about the mouthfeel and head stability. I can't really say how it's different from using regular malted wheat, but if I were in a pinch and had no torrified grains, I'd use regular wheat. It may just be something about the way they make their beers over in the UK... I don't really see torrified grains in many other recipes besides English Ales. I figure that if I have easy access to things like torrified wheat (instead of regular malted wheat) or British crystal 55L (instead of regular crystal 60L), I might as well try to make the beer as authentic as I can. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't use malted wheat & crystal 60L if that's all I had. Cheers & Happy Weekend.

+Quote Post
MtnBrewer
post Mar 6 2009, 05:41 PM
Post #10

Brewmaster

Group: banned
Member No.: 937

QUOTE(kenlenard @ Mar 4 2009, 10:58 AM) *
Yes, that does sound right but I'm not sure which of the dry yeasts are from Whitbread.

S-04 is either 1098 or 1099...I can't remember which. I think it's 1098.

+Quote Post
kenlenard
post Apr 11 2009, 05:04 PM
Post #11

Brewmaster

Having a few of these today while doing some stuff outside...
(IMG:http://home.comcast.net/~kenlenard/whitbread.JPG)
I really enjoy these beers with English Ale yeast. This one has such a great balance of malt and hops and the yeast profile is minerally & bready. If anyone is interested in making this, I seemed to notice a slight diacetyl flavor during the first gallon or two of the keg. It seems to be fading though. When I make it again (and I will...), I may try a short d-rest to make sure it's taken care of earlier in the process. This beer was fermented in the low 60s. Cheers!

This post has been edited by kenlenard: Apr 11 2009, 05:05 PM

+Quote Post
kenlenard
post Apr 14 2009, 10:57 AM
Post #12

Brewmaster

Yesterday I took this 1099 out of the fridge (harvested on 3/11) and made a starter for it. I am making a lighter-colored version of this beer by taking out the 14 oz of British Crystal 55L and replacing it with 7 oz of Vienna and 7 oz of American Crystal 10L. Call it an English Pale Ale, a English Summer Ale, a British Blonde, whatever. The hop schedule will be the same except the Kents are a little higher AA% (5 instead of 4.2). When I took the harvested yeast out of the fridge and poured off the small amount of beer into the sink, it had that distinct "crackery" aroma to it... I swear it smells like Saltines or something. Very unique. I'm making this beer today. The IBUs went from 31 to 33 and the color went from 9 to about 5. Everything else is the same. Cheers.

+Quote Post
chefmiller
post Apr 28 2009, 11:28 AM
Post #13

Brewer

Member No.: 13,281

Just mashed in on a variation of this recipe, subbed some of the base grain for some kolsch that I wanted to use up, and cascades instead of the target. Smells great!

+Quote Post
kenlenard
post Apr 29 2009, 09:12 AM
Post #14

Brewmaster

Chef: Got the 1099 yeast? Damn, I like this yeast. My keg of this beer blew on Monday night but I just racked the "summer version" of it to a secondary yesterday and it's crystal clear... looking forward to sampling it. Cheers.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd June 2018 - 12:34 PM