Total Votes: 0
Guests cannot vote 
Jimmy James
post Mar 3 2009, 11:47 PM
Post #1

Brewmaster

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,449

Toronado is one of the newer beer bars in North Park, on 30th Avenue roughly between El Cajon Blvd and University. http://www.toronadosd.com/iWeb/Site/Welcome.html

Atmosphere: It is a more contemporary space with plenty of stools at the bar and bistro-style tables throughout. The noise level can ratchet up when the music gets cranked or it gets very crowded. However, if it does get too busy/noisy for your taste, you can always bail to the Ritual across the street for great beers and a slightly different (possibly) crowd.

Service: I have only had beers at the bar here - service was good with tasters offered for anything I was interested in trying first. There are a couple of food items on offer which looked good - sliders other bar-food-of-the-moment but nothing to get excited about.

Beer Selection: Now here is something to get excited about if you are either a local fed up with the crummy selection in mid-city bars in the past or a visitor looking for good brew. They typically have 36+ beers on tap, and many more in bottles. The tap selection when I was there recently featured several brews from Russian River including their sour, as well as a wide variety of domestic (Allagash, Port, DFH, Alesmith, etc) and import (Moortgaat, Verhaege, Affligem, Chimay) beers. If you can't find something you like from the extensive draft list you could always make a selection from the bottles of which there are 100s. They also have beers on cask from time-to-time.

Food: Like I wrote above, some bar-food is available and looks to be fresh.

Conclusion: Toronado is a nice addition to the North Park bar scene. It has a bike rack right out the front door, and plenty of parking is typically available in the neighborhood off 30th if you can't find something closer. The beer selection is outstanding and the bartenders are friendly and helpful. The Ritual (another great beer spot) is right across the street just a bit north on 30th, so even if you're not feeling it at Toronado there's another option close by.

This post has been edited by MtnBrewer: Mar 4 2009, 11:39 AM
Reason for edit: Corrected Title and Poll
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2018 - 09:38 AM