Total Votes: 2
Guests cannot vote 
rebelcruiser
post Mar 9 2009, 06:40 PM
Post #1

Brewer

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,262

I have a 1550 clone that uses kegs instead of kettles. Ever since I first started using it I kept having issues with slow and/or stuck runoffs and recircs (the system is a HERMS). I finally decided that I REALLY needed something that would maximize the surface area that I have inside of the keg MLT. The Sabco false bottom is hinged so that it fits through the small opening at the top and opens up when inside to fit on top of the contour at the bottom of the keg (I have seen some that only open up to about 13"). I ordered mine with a hole drilled in the center for inserting the pickup tube but it is available without as well. Another thing that I really liked about this product is that it also has adjustable stainless "legs" for supporting the false bottom even under the heaviest of Grist loads.

With my last false bottom I had to be VERY careful not to open up the return valve on the HERMS too far. I was still careful but no issues at all.

The only issue that I have with this product is that it does not have a handle to make removal easier. Even so I have to say that it was worth every penny.

Gary

p.s. The pickup tube is easily constructed with a threaded copper coupling, some 3/8 copper tubing, 1 3/8 90* fitting, and a 3/8 copper union. Just sweat it all together so that the pickup tube drop fits into the hole. Now if you will excuse me I have an airlock to go sniff... (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/cool.gif)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ARN
post Mar 10 2009, 05:20 PM
Post #2

Homebrewer

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,204

I agree. I was reluctant to shell out, but am glad I did. Solidly constructed and nice and tight in a keg, and much slicker than cutting slots to slide a full-size false bottom in.

I too constructed my dip tube out of copper, but in a slightly different manner. I sanded down a piece of 1/2" copper tubing and opened the hole on the FB a little with a chainsaw blade file. Fits nice and tight.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th July 2018 - 06:37 AM