Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Honey Wheat, Honey Wheat
grubb
post Feb 18 2010, 05:35 PM
Post #1

Homebrewer

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,219

The recipe that i am looking at calls for German Pilsner and Wheat malt. However i looked at midwest supplies and northern brewer and can not find them. Can someone help me or give me a good alternate. I am a long time extract brewer and am looking at making my first all-grain brew. Let me know what you think of the recipe

4lb German Pilsner
4lb Wheat Malt
1lb Canadian Honey Malt
1lb honey added to the end of the primary

mashed at 152 degres for about an 1 hour

0.5 Cluster 60 minutes in boil
0.5 Cluster 10 minutes left in boil

I am going to use the yeast that i got from a light beer that is just about ready (probably tomorrow) for bottling. I will primary for about 1 week and secondary for about 2 weeks.

PLease let me know if i am missing anything or not
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
slothrob
post Feb 18 2010, 09:05 PM
Post #2

Brewmaster

Member No.: 4,990

This forum's sponsor has German Pilsner Malt and Wheat Malt, as does NB, just search for "German Pilsner" and you'll see the Weyermann malt.

+Quote Post
grubb
post Feb 18 2010, 09:24 PM
Post #3

Homebrewer

Member No.: 14,219

QUOTE(slothrob @ Feb 18 2010, 09:05 PM) *
This forum's sponsor has German Pilsner Malt and Wheat Malt, as does NB, just search for "German Pilsner" and you'll see the Weyermann malt.

Just realized that Weyermann was German. Thanks for the help, as i am new to all grain brewing

+Quote Post
slothrob
post Feb 19 2010, 06:56 AM
Post #4

Brewmaster

Best Malz is another excellent German maltster. I buy that from Northcountrymalt.

+Quote Post
chriss
post Feb 19 2010, 09:53 AM
Post #5

Brewer

Member No.: 12,740

I'd be careful with the honey malt. I was pretty excited about it about a year ago and tried it a few times. It just seemed "off" most of the time. I've had way better luck just using real honey and putting it in at flameout. Maybe go 1.5 to 2lbs. I have an amber ale that I use 3lbs OBH (11gallon batch) and it is everyone's fav out of all the brews I do.

+Quote Post
slothrob
post Feb 20 2010, 08:39 AM
Post #6

Brewmaster

I've read that even 1/2# of Honey Malt can be too much.

+Quote Post
Bierliebhaber
post Feb 20 2010, 12:20 PM
Post #7

Brewer

Member No.: 15,313

QUOTE(slothrob @ Feb 20 2010, 05:39 AM) *
I've read that even 1/2# of Honey Malt can be too much.

This may be true on some beers, but I have had a different experience. I recently decided to experiment a bit with honey malt and brewed two different batches with it. A couple weeks ago I brewed a 12 gal. weizenbock with 5# of honey malt and a 6 gal. oatmeal stout with 2# of honey malt. Both of these beers are turning out wonderfully! I really don't see these beer doing anything but getting better.

+Quote Post
Bierliebhaber
post Apr 8 2010, 01:21 AM
Post #8

Brewer

Member No.: 15,313

QUOTE(Bierliebhaber @ Feb 20 2010, 09:20 AM) *
This may be true on some beers, but I have had a different experience. I recently decided to experiment a bit with honey malt and brewed two different batches with it. A couple weeks ago I brewed a 12 gal. weizenbock with 5# of honey malt and a 6 gal. oatmeal stout with 2# of honey malt. Both of these beers are turning out wonderfully! I really don't see these beer doing anything but getting better.

Now that I have had time to let the beers develop and evaluate the results, I wouldn't change the honey malt in the weizenbock. It turned out great and scored high in competition. For personal taste, I would cut the honey malt by half or more in the oatmeal stout. It came out too sweet for me, but everyone else loves it. It scored fair in competition, because the bottles didn't carb for some reason. Both judges commented that they really liked the flavor.

+Quote Post
lilp
post Apr 9 2010, 11:18 PM
Post #9

Homebrewer

Member No.: 12,147

I have done two honey wheats with honey malt. One with 1lb honey malt and 1lb honey at flameout and one with 1/2 lb honey malt and a lb of honey at flameout. The 1/2 lb recipe was excellent and was quickly emptied by my wife and her friends. The 1 lb now tastes pretty good, but initially had an overpowering honey/sweetness that decreased over time (approx. 3 months). I would suggest 1/2 lb if you want to drink it before July 4th! Good luck.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th June 2019 - 07:35 AM