Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Joe's Ancient Orange and a Chocolate mead, 2 different meads, one question
wfuavenger
post Mar 16 2010, 10:30 AM
Post #1

Homebrewer

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,634

I am just getting into mead making as I was given a home brew kit for beer this Christmas and a mead kit for Valentines day. I am wondering if you guys think these sound good the way I have done them.

I would like to note that the OG was not taken as I was half way through the orange mead batch with stuff everywhere and sticky honey and OJ lightly covering most of the kitchen when my spouse, who got me into this (enabler), came in from work, sighed and turned around and went out to the porch swing! Needless to say, I had to hurry and finish.

Joes Ancient Orange/Cinnamon Clove Mead

Filled 6 gallon carbouy to just under top line

3 ˝ gallons water
2 large naval oranges cut into 16ths then halfs
3 medium/small naval oranges cut the same
3 pinches nutmeg
5 cinnomon sticks
4 cloves
18 lbs clover honey (1.5 gallons)
˝ cup loosely packed Sunkist raisins
2 packets fleschmans baking yeast (4.5 oz)
2 tsp Fermax nutrient

JW's Chocolate Mead

Filled 6 gallon carbouy just under top line

8.2 oz Nestley quick milk mix 25% reduced sugar
8 oz Hershey’s chocolate syrup
3.5 tsp acid blend
5 tsp Fermax nutrient
1 pack D-47 yeast

What do you think of these two recipes?

I am a bit concerned as the chocolate smells of sulfur and not the wonderful chocolate like it did until the second day.... Is it possible for d-47 to make sulfur compounds?

On a side note, I am going today to the local homebrew shop to get some smaller carbouys and airlocks.... 6 gallons is a LOT.

I also have a beekeeping blog that I am doing my mead writeups on and I have a few pics... jaredsbees.blogspot.com if you want to check it out. Visit My Website

This post has been edited by wfuavenger: Mar 16 2010, 10:32 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rikkard
post Mar 16 2010, 12:29 PM
Post #2

Homebrewer

Member No.: 8,257

QUOTE(wfuavenger @ Mar 16 2010, 11:30 AM) *
I am just getting into mead making as I was given a home brew kit for beer this Christmas and a mead kit for Valentines day. I am wondering if you guys think these sound good the way I have done them.

I would like to note that the OG was not taken as I was half way through the orange mead batch with stuff everywhere and sticky honey and OJ lightly covering most of the kitchen when my spouse, who got me into this (enabler), came in from work, sighed and turned around and went out to the porch swing! Needless to say, I had to hurry and finish.

Joes Ancient Orange/Cinnamon Clove Mead

Filled 6 gallon carbouy to just under top line

3 ˝ gallons water
2 large naval oranges cut into 16ths then halfs
3 medium/small naval oranges cut the same
3 pinches nutmeg
5 cinnomon sticks
4 cloves
˝ cup loosely packed Sunkist raisins
2 packets fleschmans baking yeast (4.5 oz)
2 tsp Fermax nutrient

JW's Chocolate Mead

Filled 6 gallon carbouy just under top line

8.2 oz Nestley quick milk mix 25% reduced sugar
8 oz Hershey’s chocolate syrup
3.5 tsp acid blend
5 tsp Fermax nutrient
1 pack D-47 yeast

What do you think of these two recipes?

I am a bit concerned as the chocolate smells of sulfur and not the wonderful chocolate like it did until the second day.... Is it possible for d-47 to make sulfur compounds?

On a side note, I am going today to the local homebrew shop to get some smaller carbouys and airlocks.... 6 gallons is a LOT.

I also have a beekeeping blog that I am doing my mead writeups on and I have a few pics... jaredsbees.blogspot.com if you want to check it out. Visit My Website

That's alot of cinnamon but overall it should make a good mead. I wouldn't worry to much about the sulfur... it's normal. Just set them both in a cool dark place
and leave them alone. That's alot of sugar in the Chocolate mead so I would expect letting that one sit for at least six months before even sampling it.

The A.O. is done when it is clear enough to read newsprint through it. When I make 1 gallon batches it's usually done in about 6 weeks but it took closer to
3 months when I did a 5 gallon batch.

Good luck, be patient and have fun

+Quote Post
Dave F
post Mar 16 2010, 08:44 PM
Post #3

Brewmaster

Member No.: 7,012

QUOTE(Rikkard @ Mar 16 2010, 01:29 PM) *
Good luck, be patient and have fun

+1...emphasis on the patient part...good mead takes a *long* time...save up for some new carboys, and after you transfer your two batches to secondary, start a couple more to keep the process rolling! I have a chocolate mead that is pushing a year old, and in secondary now...it still hasn't cleared (I think I'm going to rack it once more soon, and will perhaps do some finings eventually). Overall, I have 4 batches in various stages in carboys, and I'm sure you could find others with more! Oh, and regarding the chocolate mead...don't expect it to taste like chocolate...the flavor should be very subtle from what I understand, and that's consistent with what my tasting was on transfer to secondary (this is my first batch of chocolate mead too...)

+Quote Post
wfuavenger
post Mar 16 2010, 09:21 PM
Post #4

Homebrewer

Member No.: 15,634

Oh, and regarding the chocolate mead...don't expect it to taste like chocolate...the flavor should be very subtle from what I understand, and that's consistent with what my tasting was on transfer to secondary (this is my first batch of chocolate mead too...)

what recipe did you use for the chocolate? I think that the blend of Hershey's and Nesquick should make it a little more noteable.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th February 2018 - 10:24 PM