Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Pear Cider
LordHop
post Sep 15 2010, 08:41 PM
Post #1

Homebrewer

Group: Members
Member No.: 144

This year will be my second attempt at making pear cider from the pear trees that grow in my back yard. Last year i had a net of about 10 gallons of juice, and fermented it with some sweet wine yeast, and ended up pouring it all out. This year i have purchased campden tablets, in addition to wlp775. Is there anything else i should be adding to make this not taste bad? I figure i will cut it with some hard cider post fermentation to take some of the pear edge off, but aside from that i am open to whatever! I am not interested in making it mega boozy - just something that doesn't make my mouth pucker!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kevin
post Sep 16 2010, 02:14 PM
Post #2

Brewer
Group Icon

Group: Guest Moderator
Member No.: 500

QUOTE(LordHop @ Sep 16 2010, 01:41 AM) *
This year will be my second attempt at making pear cider from the pear trees that grow in my back yard. Last year i had a net of about 10 gallons of juice, and fermented it with some sweet wine yeast, and ended up pouring it all out. This year i have purchased campden tablets, in addition to wlp775. Is there anything else i should be adding to make this not taste bad? I figure i will cut it with some hard cider post fermentation to take some of the pear edge off, but aside from that i am open to whatever! I am not interested in making it mega boozy - just something that doesn't make my mouth pucker!!

Can you describe the taste of the pears? Perry (pear cider) is one of my favorite things in the whole world. Cutting it with hard apple cider could be a bit of a disservice. Usually pears are more deliate than apples so I am wondering about the flavor profile since you describe it as being edgy.

Kevin

+Quote Post
LordHop
post Sep 17 2010, 05:30 PM
Post #3

Homebrewer

Group: Members
Member No.: 144

QUOTE(Kevin @ Sep 16 2010, 07:14 PM) *
Can you describe the taste of the pears? Perry (pear cider) is one of my favorite things in the whole world. Cutting it with hard apple cider could be a bit of a disservice. Usually pears are more deliate than apples so I am wondering about the flavor profile since you describe it as being edgy.

Kevin

it had a very strong sulfur aftertaste, and yeasty - not much of anything else (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/sad.gif)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th July 2018 - 08:36 AM