Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Priming hard cider
chewybrewie
post Sep 28 2010, 09:08 PM
Post #1

Homebrewer

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,114

I am a homebrewer and i am trying my hand at hard cider. I am following a recipie from the latest edition of Zymurgy. I would like to naturally carbonate but am wondering if I can do it like my beer. I do not add corn sugar to the whole batch but rather add 3/4 of a tsp. to each bottle. Yes I know this is a little bit more time consuming but I am very satisfied with the end result. Will this amt. be sufficient?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BobH
post Sep 29 2010, 06:59 AM
Post #2

Brewmaster

Member No.: 2,106

I always do my priming by weight not volume and I prime the entire amount in a bucket.
1 tsp. is close to 4.2 Grams of corn sugar and in 12 Oz. of beer that will produce around 3.8 volumes of carbonation. 3/4 tsp. would be around 3 Grams and make around 3 volumes. Question is how close to 3 Grams you are getting with your measurement. If you get 5 Grams your pushing 4.5 volumes.

Hard cider can be made as a still wine or up to 7 volumes like some Champagne. Anything over 4.5 volumes in a 12 Oz. beer bottle is living on the dangerous side.

+Quote Post
Kevin
post Oct 1 2010, 01:42 PM
Post #3

Brewer
Group Icon

Group: Guest Moderator
Member No.: 500

You would be much much safer with a cider bulk primingwith a known amount by weight.
Small amounts by vlume are subject to large swings just from the humidity in the air and the force from settling and packing. in a cider this can be disasterous.

Kevin

+Quote Post
YeastWrangler72
post Dec 30 2011, 09:29 PM
Post #4

Homebrewer

Member No.: 14,854

QUOTE(Kevin @ Oct 1 2010, 01:42 PM) *
You would be much much safer with a cider bulk primingwith a known amount by weight.
Small amounts by vlume are subject to large swings just from the humidity in the air and the force from settling and packing.
Kevin

On the 1st point I agree.

Though... when you make a simple syrup with the dextrose using it & water - usually equal parts by weight - then your priming mixture is in "suspension," thoroughly dissolved and sanitized. This is how I batch prime a recipe ready to bottle... stirring it in VERY well & then bottling immediately.

(* To sparkle some of the mead I'm bottling tonight I just boiled 2 oz. of dextrose with 3 oz. water to come up with a solution that will give me about 3.5 ish volumes... nothing too bubbly. I figure that 1 t. of this solution will be equal to 2/3 strength of 1 t. of straight dextrose. We'll see how this experiment goes.)

I hardly think that humidity is going to affect a liquid solution too much and settling, etc. are no longer an issue - correct?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th November 2018 - 03:05 PM