Reply to this topicStart new topic
> March Pump, Impeller up grade
Swagman
post Mar 19 2011, 08:00 AM
Post #1

Brewmaster

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,002

Has any brewer done this up grade to there March 809 pump? If so what kind of improvement was there. To me it seems a good way of moving more material.

Borrowed this picture from another brewer and it does a great job of showing the difference.

Part number for impeller magnet assembly is 0809-0107-0200

(IMG:http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f333/surfsupks/MarchpumpImpeller.jpg)

They also recommend changing the thrust washer part number for it is 0809-0043-1000

Cost of the impeller runs between 24.00 to 27.00 plus shipping and the washer is .069

I don't have a problem with priming with my set up but some that I read says it does improve priming.

God Bless
Dominus Vobiscum
Swagman

This post has been edited by Swagman: Mar 19 2011, 08:01 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bo_gator
post Mar 19 2011, 02:42 PM
Post #2

Brewmaster

Member No.: 7,848

I've never seen that impeller before, but I would see nothing wrong with changing it out. If you didn't like it you could go back to the original parts (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/beerchug.gif)

+Quote Post
rebelcruiser
post Mar 19 2011, 03:00 PM
Post #3

Brewer

Member No.: 5,262

QUOTE(Swagman @ Mar 19 2011, 08:00 AM) *
Has any brewer done this up grade to there March 809 pump? If so what kind of improvement was there. To me it seems a good way of moving more material.

Borrowed this picture from another brewer and it does a great job of showing the difference.

Part number for impeller magnet assembly is 0809-0107-0200
(IMG:http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f333/surfsupks/MarchpumpImpeller.jpg)
They also recommend changing the thrust washer part number for it is 0809-0043-1000

Cost of the impeller runs between 24.00 to 27.00 plus shipping and the washer is .069

I don't have a problem with priming with my set up but some that I read says it does improve priming.
God Bless
Dominus Vobiscum
Swagman

Great post Swag, I may get one of these. When I first saw the the pump was upgraded I could not find much info as to WHAT specifically was upgraded. Thanks for the pics

Gary

+Quote Post
Swagman
post Mar 28 2011, 07:42 AM
Post #4

Brewmaster

Have an impeller coming from Tesco for 24.00. I will do a few flow rates with old and new nothing fancy just fill a fill gallon bucket by time.

Will let you all know the results.

God Bless
Swagman

+Quote Post
Thorhale
post Mar 28 2011, 04:52 PM
Post #5

Brewmaster

Member No.: 11,628

ha, good timing. I was just considering which pump to get (I use an auto syphon), and I am already considering the upgrade of an upgrade lol

looking forward to see the results!

+Quote Post
RonRock
post Mar 31 2011, 07:55 AM
Post #6

Stewart

Group: New Member
Member No.: 12,980

I have done this to my pump. It makes a big difference. Well worth the money. I have not taken the time to measure the improvement, but it is clearly noticeable. You will be happy with the upgrade. Although it may be a little too much for draining your mash.

+Quote Post
Swagman
post Apr 1 2011, 11:03 AM
Post #7

Brewmaster

Test results are in with the old and new impeller.

Little back ground first these are down on the farm test's nothing from MIT.

My system is Hard piped with SS 1/2 pipe. All Tri-clover together. I configure my pump different than most for my reasons and I'm not going into that. The inlet is at 12.00 and outlet at 6.00 I primp at the inlet with air chamber.

First my thoughts SAVE YOUR MONEY here are the reasons.

Cost with shipping 29.00 for the impeller and a item that has nothing to do with this test I also bought a ss pump head for I like ss.

1st test HLT to pump to transfer valve into a 5 gallon bucket filled to the rim took 1 minute and 26 seconds

2nd test HLT to pump to transfer valve into a 5 gallon bucket to filled to the rim took 1 minute and 6 seconds.

So I gained 20 seconds wow thats 1.47 cost per second not worth it in my book. But to each his own now I have new head and impeller that's about all I gained.

God Bless
Swagman

This post has been edited by Swagman: Apr 1 2011, 11:04 AM

+Quote Post
RonRock
post Apr 1 2011, 02:37 PM
Post #8

Stewart

That really surprises me. Could you see a difference in the flow? With mine I can easily see a difference, the larger impeller has a much stronger flow. Also one thing that may have been missed here. Is your pump a 3500RPM? There was some discussion over on HBT with a guy that works at March and seems to me that he mentioned that the pump had to have the 3500RPM motor. Not sure of the exacts but could be found.

Not doubting your test results, you did more testing than I did. But still surprised.

+Quote Post
Swagman
post Apr 1 2011, 03:11 PM
Post #9

Brewmaster

QUOTE(RonRock @ Apr 1 2011, 02:37 PM) *
That really surprises me. Could you see a difference in the flow? With mine I can easily see a difference, the larger impeller has a much stronger flow. Also one thing that may have been missed here. Is your pump a 3500RPM? There was some discussion over on HBT with a guy that works at March and seems to me that he mentioned that the pump had to have the 3500RPM motor. Not sure of the exacts but could be found.

Not doubting your test results, you did more testing than I did. But still surprised.

Rock weren't you on or still on the HBT. Myself I was banned and don't have a clue why. I figure there lost and that's water under the bridge.

Yes the motor is 3500Rpm and I was just as surprised as you where. O'well on to bigger and better things it was fun and gives this old retire reliability engineer something to do

God Bless
Swagman

+Quote Post
RonRock
post Apr 1 2011, 03:24 PM
Post #10

Stewart

Yeah I'm still there. I did not know you got the boot. I never noticed any trouble out of you. Guess I wasn't watching close enough. (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/rolf.gif)

+Quote Post
BierNut
post Aug 15 2013, 05:13 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 18,093

Swagman and RonRock,
i'm "BierNut" on this forum vs "BrewBeemer" on HBT.
For others also about the March 809 pump, my case a Chugger pump in stainless.
I did a couple tests with the small 809 inpeller same dimentions used in Chugger pumps then switched to
the larger March 815 impeller same as the Swagman pictures posted above.
Tested with a Blue-White Industries F-1000-RT Rate-Totalizer meter, range 2-20 gpm with 1/2" ID body and impeller.
Installed 1/2" NPT to 1/2" slip adapter with 1" OD on the slip fitting allowing for 1" ID vinyl tubing no pump inlet or outlet
flow restrictions.
Unloaded flowing the smaller (12'+ max head) impeller flowed 5.65 gpm.
With the larger 815 impeller (18'+ mx head) flowed 6.49 gpm.
A 14.86% increase, not going to put out forest fires with but an increase none the less.

This stainless Chugger pump with flashing restricting the inlet port flow.
Detailing with the Dremel should increase flow by a small amount vs this high production corner cutting detailing cleanup.
With a Blue-White Industries F-1000-RT flow meter of 1/2" ID with metering impeller, my findings;
With max head from 12+ to 18+ ft, that alone is a large improvement considering the flow resistance pushing through
a long copper or stainless chiller coil.
Dealing with low hp and flow pumps, anything that improves them is a great help.
Hey Swag and Ron, keep in touch you two.

Carl.....~~=o&o>.....

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th November 2020 - 06:09 PM