Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Wine bottling question
grafxdesin
post May 17 2011, 12:06 PM
Post #1

Brewmaster

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,880

I don't make much wine but a year ago I made two 5 gallon batches of wine, actually one is a mead. I am about to bottle them and need some information about conditioning them for bottling, what do i need to add to make sure they don't referment in the bottle. These are for my wedding so most will be drunk in about 3 months from now all in one shot, but a few bottles we want to open up on our 1 year anniversary and our 5 year, plus some people might take a bottle home with them as well.
What should i add to the wine to get it ready for bottling.
Cheers
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dave F
post May 18 2011, 12:16 AM
Post #2

Brewmaster

Member No.: 7,012

QUOTE(grafxdesin @ May 17 2011, 01:06 PM) *
I don't make much wine but a year ago I made two 5 gallon batches of wine, actually one is a mead. I am about to bottle them and need some information about conditioning them for bottling, what do i need to add to make sure they don't referment in the bottle. These are for my wedding so most will be drunk in about 3 months from now all in one shot, but a few bottles we want to open up on our 1 year anniversary and our 5 year, plus some people might take a bottle home with them as well.
What should i add to the wine to get it ready for bottling.
Cheers

If they've been bulk aging for that long, I'd be super surprised if there was any risk of refermentation! Out of curiosity, what are your final gravity readings? If they're essentially dry, then there'd be little to referment anyway. Still, if you want to be absolutely sure (or if you want to backsweeten either of them), you'll want to add both potassium metabisulfate and potassium sorbate -- it takes both together to reliably inhibit refermentation.

+Quote Post
fatbloke
post May 29 2011, 05:08 AM
Post #3

Homebrewer

Member No.: 15,928

Concur with DaveF. Though if you're worried, sorbate and sulphite (according to the makers specification) will sort it out for the long term.

If you wanted to carbonate some of it, then you'll need champagne bottles, stoppers and wire cages. you can just put a teaspoon of brewing sugar, dextrose/glucose or even table sugar in the bottle, stopper and wire cage it.

Then put the bottles somewhere warmish for a couple of weeks. If you did want to carbonate, don't forget, you wouldn't use sorbate/sulphite first.

+Quote Post
malkore
post Jun 24 2011, 02:02 PM
Post #4

Brewmaster

Member No.: 9,232

if it were me i'd only sulfite, to prevent oxidation (hopefully it hasn't already set in during bulk aging).

sorbate is optional IMO since its aged so long already it HAS to be done fermenting.

+Quote Post
Kevin
post Jun 28 2011, 02:05 PM
Post #5

Brewer
Group Icon

Group: Guest Moderator
Member No.: 500

I did the same thing for my wedding, 2 five gallon batches.
It was still and dry. All of it was in champagne bottles. After a year under refrigeration the maid of honer had kept a bottle in the back of her refrigerator and it had carbonated even though it had appeared stable, and done, was dry as a bone and was also 18% abv.

That was way back in my meadmaking career. My inclination is to sulfite (prevent oxidation and perhaps stop residual fermentation depending on yeast strain as mentioned above) and to sorbate (to hamper RENEWED fermentation).

+Quote Post
BobH
post Jun 30 2011, 08:23 PM
Post #6

Brewmaster

Member No.: 2,106

Some people have allergic reactions to sulfite. Unpleasant reactions that will ruin their wedding reception experience. Make sure they know it's in there by putting them on the label.
http://www.sulfiteallergy.org/

I would forgo the chemicals and bottle closer to the event keeping them in cold storage till the event.

Bob

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th October 2018 - 03:30 PM