Reply to this topicStart new topic
> D47 Cider - Nothing after two days?!?
dta5207
post Sep 20 2011, 04:45 PM
Post #1

Stewart

Group: New Member
Member No.: 14,001

Dropped the yeast D 47 in two separate 5 gal buckets two days ago and nothing yet.

I added campden tabs (1 per gal) and let sit one day prior to adding yeast. Also added pectic enzyme. Been two days and no bubbling.

This is my first Cider, so I am not sure what to expect with 2 D47 packets per bucket. Is that not enough? I did not use a cider and may have pitched too cold. I stored the cider in the fridge while the tabs dissolved.

Thanks in advance
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
triarchy
post Oct 2 2011, 08:04 PM
Post #2

Group: New Member
Member No.: 15,682

QUOTE(dta5207 @ Sep 20 2011, 03:45 PM) *
Dropped the yeast D 47 in two separate 5 gal buckets two days ago and nothing yet.

I added campden tabs (1 per gal) and let sit one day prior to adding yeast. Also added pectic enzyme. Been two days and no bubbling.

This is my first Cider, so I am not sure what to expect with 2 D47 packets per bucket. Is that not enough? I did not use a cider and may have pitched too cold. I stored the cider in the fridge while the tabs dissolved.

Thanks in advance

Its good practice to make a yeast starter when using dried yeast. Rehydrate the yeast is water and Goferm (or something similar). After 15 minutes, add an equal amount of must and wait 15 minutes more. Then add the mixture to the must, cider in this case. But why yours doesnt appear to be fermenting is not clear. It could be it just got off to a slow start because you just added yeast to the must without a starter, it could be that you still have K-Meta in the must from the campden. If the must was too cold at pitch, no big deal. The yeast would take off once the must warmed, but that might account for a slow start too.

Id wait another day and see if it doesnt start to ferment. If it doesnt, Id re-pitch but rehydrate the yeast first.

+Quote Post
Dave F
post Oct 4 2011, 07:13 AM
Post #3

Brewmaster

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,012

QUOTE(triarchy @ Oct 2 2011, 09:04 PM) *
Its good practice to make a yeast starter when using dried yeast. Rehydrate the yeast is water and Goferm (or something similar). After 15 minutes, add an equal amount of must and wait 15 minutes more. Then add the mixture to the must, cider in this case. But why yours doesnt appear to be fermenting is not clear. It could be it just got off to a slow start because you just added yeast to the must without a starter, it could be that you still have K-Meta in the must from the campden. If the must was too cold at pitch, no big deal. The yeast would take off once the must warmed, but that might account for a slow start too.

Id wait another day and see if it doesnt start to ferment. If it doesnt, Id re-pitch but rehydrate the yeast first.

I can agree with the intent of the above post, but the procedure described is *not* a starter. This is rehydration. I realize this is just perhaps being picky on terminology, but it's an important distinction. A true yeast starter is essentially a small batch of mead/wine/beer that is used to increase cell counts so you can achieve a proper pitch rate. A starter is completely unnecessary with dry yeast since you generally already have enough yeast (and if you don't, you just use another packet or two).

It is indeed good practice to *rehydrate* when using dry yeast...Using Goferm and then adding some of the must are additional steps that can be done, but are probably less necessary. The more important thing is to rehydrate the yeast in water of the correct temperature (various yeast manufactures have different recommendations; Lalvin recommends 104-109F).

I doubt that a campden addition would cause a slow start, unless you added more than recommended (and it sounds like you didn't).

Temperature is definitely a big suspect...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th October 2018 - 03:31 PM