Reply to this topicStart new topic
> a tale of two ciders
jefflane510
post Oct 28 2011, 09:32 PM
Post #1

Homebrewer

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,410

Interesting discovery today, not entirely sure why this happened, but have ideas.

The cider is from a local wild orchard, harvested and pressed on 9/20/2011. The carboy on the right was pitched with yeast immediately after pressing. The cider in the carboy on the left went with me to my wedding on 9/24. This is the leftovers from what we served as sweet cider. Then, on 9/26, I pitched the same yeast into the remaining 10 gallons of leftovers. Three carboys sat together in the basement while we went on the honeymoon.

Tonight I racked it all into secondaries. The flavors are identical. The only difference is the color and clarity. The darker one is ever so slightly cloudy, whereas the lighter is crystal clear.

(IMG:http://i.imm.io/aSVL.png)

The only thought I have is that by immediately starting the fermentation, the oxidation was halted before it could pick up the reddish hues. Generally, when we press cider it comes out lighter, but over the course of the next hour or two it turns dark like what you'd buy in a store. I'm having a hard time understanding why it wouldn't oxidize in the couple hours after pressing but before fermentation really took off. Anyone have ideas???

jeff
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd June 2018 - 03:29 AM