Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Recipe program (promash etc.)
Heavenlyfire
post Nov 17 2011, 10:01 PM
Post #1

Brewer

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,682

I was going to re-purchase promash for my new laptop but their site does not include Windows 7 in it's compatibility list. Any suggestions on what to use? Thanks in advance.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Thorhale
post Nov 18 2011, 08:49 AM
Post #2

Brewmaster

Member No.: 11,628

QUOTE(Heavenlyfire @ Nov 17 2011, 09:01 PM) *
I was going to re-purchase promash for my new laptop but their site does not include Windows 7 in it's compatibility list. Any suggestions on what to use? Thanks in advance.

I have been using hopville.com lately.

No downloading, and your recipes are always just a few clicks away.

+Quote Post
chuck_d
post Nov 18 2011, 03:11 PM
Post #3

Brewmaster
Group Icon

Group: Guest Moderator
Member No.: 2,141

Promash is no longer maintained. Beer Smith recently had an update. My spreadsheet is free, linked in my signature. If you have Excel on your W7 machine it should work fine for you.

+Quote Post
Heavenlyfire
post Nov 18 2011, 11:04 PM
Post #4

Brewer

Member No.: 8,682

Chuck, I really wish I had excel now. That is an awesome looking spreadsheet! You obviously put a lot of time into that, well done!

+Quote Post
dshepard
post Nov 19 2011, 05:08 AM
Post #5

Homebrewer

Member No.: 5,744

QUOTE(Heavenlyfire @ Nov 17 2011, 10:01 PM) *

I am using Promash on W-7 now. Works fine.

+Quote Post
chuck_d
post Nov 19 2011, 03:42 PM
Post #6

Brewmaster
Group Icon

QUOTE(Heavenlyfire @ Nov 18 2011, 11:04 PM) *
Chuck, I really wish I had excel now. That is an awesome looking spreadsheet! You obviously put a lot of time into that, well done!

Thanks. Yeah, I used to be using ProMash, BeerSmith and a bunch of other spreadsheets. I just got tired of switching around all these different tools and try to put the functionality of all them into an Excel workbook. Took the Calendar idea from BeerSmith, it was the one functionality of theirs I really wanted. Integrated Palmer's residual alkalinity water spreadsheet for mash pH control into the recipe formulation, stuff like that.

+Quote Post
Dave F
post Nov 21 2011, 03:24 AM
Post #7

Brewmaster

Member No.: 7,012

QUOTE(Heavenlyfire @ Nov 17 2011, 10:01 PM) *

It works just fine on Windows 7 -- both of my Win7 machines have it.

+Quote Post
rebelcruiser
post Nov 21 2011, 07:13 AM
Post #8

Brewer

Member No.: 5,262

QUOTE(Heavenlyfire @ Nov 18 2011, 11:04 PM) *

openoffice.org is open open source, free to use, office suite that is designed to be compatible with the MS office Suite including Excel. Give it a try.

Gary

+Quote Post
chuck_d
post Nov 21 2011, 03:56 PM
Post #9

Brewmaster
Group Icon

QUOTE(rebelcruiser @ Nov 21 2011, 07:13 AM) *
openoffice.org is open open source, free to use, office suite that is designed to be compatible with the MS office Suite including Excel. Give it a try.

Gary

Unfortunately OO's spreadsheet program Calc is only compatible with the simplest of Excel spreadsheets. No macros will ever work as it doesn't support VBA, and OO Calc actually composes logical expressions with a different syntax.

Whereas in Excel you can write =IF(A="value",PostiveResult,NegativeResult)
in OO it would be =IF(A="value";PostiveResult;NegativeResult)
where the comma-delimeters are instead semi-colons.

So even the most basic of logical formulas will not work in OO and Excel. This becomes a major issue when you have a very large number of formulas with a very large number of nested IFs. Not to mention correcting all those formulas would still leave some of the more complex functionality unaddressed as the macros are completely useless.

For my sheet you need Excel for it to work, and Windows for the macros. It's ironic because I actually run Debian on this computer at my desk, which is the machine I originally created the spreadsheet on. My laptop still has W7, so I can still use it.

(IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/cheers.gif)

+Quote Post
Thorhale
post Nov 22 2011, 09:01 PM
Post #10

Brewmaster

Member No.: 11,628

you could probably run chucks spread sheet with google docs... thats free

+Quote Post
danmcc
post May 28 2012, 11:36 AM
Post #11

Brewer

Member No.: 3,100

QUOTE(Dave F @ Nov 21 2011, 04:24 AM) *
It works just fine on Windows 7 -- both of my Win7 machines have it.

Interestingly, I can run Promash on windows 7 computer but not on an XP computer. I have been googling a solution for my XP computer that shows a NTVDM error when loading Promash. I tried it on my laptop with 7 and presto it works. I think since Promash is no longer supported I will just print my recipes and abandon the program. I like the excel file found in this thread, pretty impressive work, thanks.

+Quote Post
chuck_d
post May 29 2012, 06:55 PM
Post #12

Brewmaster
Group Icon

QUOTE(danmcc @ May 28 2012, 12:36 PM) *
Interestingly, I can run Promash on windows 7 computer but not on an XP computer. I have been googling a solution for my XP computer that shows a NTVDM error when loading Promash. I tried it on my laptop with 7 and presto it works. I think since Promash is no longer supported I will just print my recipes and abandon the program. I like the excel file found in this thread, pretty impressive work, thanks.

(IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/cheers.gif)

Hit me up if you have any questions.

+Quote Post
Jess
post Jun 5 2012, 11:24 PM
Post #13

Assistant Brewer
Group Icon

Group: Super Admin
Member No.: 3,729

QUOTE(danmcc @ May 28 2012, 12:36 PM) *

I am using windows XP to maintain the recipes at Alternative Beverage and have never experienced any problems

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th January 2021 - 08:30 PM