> Lagunitas Sucks Clone
Steve_O
post Dec 1 2011, 12:15 PM
Post #1

Brewer

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,080

Hey Guys,

I've searched and can't seem to find a recipe for the Lagunitas Sucks holiday beer (Brown Shugga substitute). From the description on the Lagunitas website:

This [beer] is a ‘Cereal Medley’ of Barley, Rye, Wheat, and Oats…. Full of complexishness from the 4 grains, and weighing in at 7.6% abv, Then joyously dry-hopped for that big aroma and resinous hop flavor.

So I've got a hint on the grain bill - but my pallet isn't trained enough to take a real educated guess at a hop bill. Any help/brainstorming would be much appreciated.

Thanks!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
deggenbe
post Dec 30 2011, 09:58 PM
Post #2

Group: New Member
Member No.: 17,369

After having a few the other night.

I'm not sure i taste Rye in it, however it might be a light addition.

I'm picking up the spruce pine flavor on it along with centennial without a heavy dry hop as to not hide the piney spruce flavor.
I'm thinking of testing it out but haven't come up with a solid plan yet.

i'm thinking base malt as 2 row or pilser malts with a little wheat then use Columbus and Centennial for the hops and a spruce addition in the last 10-20 min of the boil.

+Quote Post
red131
post Jan 30 2012, 11:46 AM
Post #3

Assistant Brewer

Member No.: 2,693

I was checking out the profile on RateBeer and it says that this beer is a American Strong Ale by style (although really just a Strong Ale by BJCP guidelines). And at 7.85% ABV, it probably would be sub-classified as an Old Ale maybe???

My best guess would be to start your hops additions based on that style and then dry hop the heck out of it. It says on RateBeer that the IBU's for this beer are 63. So use your favorite brewing software and maybe the suggestion from deggenbe and see what you can line up. Post back your recipe when you think you have something and we can tweak it.

+Quote Post
Vinman
post Mar 22 2013, 04:03 PM
Post #4

Homebrewer

Member No.: 1,971

I just tried this beer for the first time yesterday and am drinking one as I am typing this. It's fantastic. It's as good as Hopslam and half the price. I'd love to find a clone recipe as well.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2018 - 06:25 PM