> Rogue Good Chit Pilsner Clone, Need suggestions
red131
post Jan 29 2012, 03:11 PM
Post #1

Assistant Brewer

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,693

Hello All:

Want to try and clone the Rogue Good Chit Pilsner I had when I was up in Oregon. On the bottle, it says:

5 Ingredients:
Brewed using 5 ingredients: Weyermann acidulated, Rogue Micro Barley Farm Dare Floor Malt, Rogue Micro Hopyard Liberty Hops, Pacman Yeast (although the website says Czech Pils Wyeast 2278) and Free Range Coastal Water.
Specs: 13 PLATO, 40 IBU, 77 AA, 6 Lovibond

The recipe I have come up with for a 5 gallon batch is:

9.5 lb - Floor Malted Bohemian Pilsner Malt
1.5 lb - Acidulated Malt
2.0 oz - Liberty Hops @ 60 min
1.0 oz - Liberty Hops @ 41 min
1.0 ea - Rogue PacMan Yeast (Alc. Tolerance 12% ABV, Flocculation med-high, Attenuation 72-78%, Temp. Range 60-72F (15-22C)

Question:
1. Does the recipe look anything close to the original specifications? I double-checked all my conversion and they are spot on.
2. What would you suggest I ferment this beer at?
3. How should I lager this beer and for how long?

Thanks for any help!

Chris

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
chuck_d
post Feb 23 2012, 12:43 PM
Post #2

Brewmaster
Group Icon

Group: Guest Moderator
Member No.: 2,141

If you're gonna make a pilsner with pacman, definitely ferment cold. That yeast throws a very distinctive ester profile that I seem to be able to pick out easily. I've not had the beer, but if the website lists lager yeast, I would not use the pacman and use a proper lager yeast.

+Quote Post
Dave F
post Feb 24 2012, 08:36 PM
Post #3

Brewmaster

Member No.: 7,012

QUOTE(chuck_d @ Feb 23 2012, 12:43 PM) *
If you're gonna make a pilsner with pacman, definitely ferment cold. That yeast throws a very distinctive ester profile that I seem to be able to pick out easily. I've not had the beer, but if the website lists lager yeast, I would not use the pacman and use a proper lager yeast.

Well, if the OP is like many of us and doesn't have a way to ferment at lager temps, he'll just have to make do...but he'd certainly be forewarned that he's not going to truly clone a pilsner with an ale yeast. You'd also like to hope you have fairly soft water in order to get the hop character right as well...

My question would be about the acidulated malt...I've never used it, but somehow I'd gotten the impression in the past that it would be used at much lower percentages of the grist? You've got it at a little over 13%, and I've seen recipes for Berliner Weiss that use only 8%. Unless this beer had a particularly sour character that you liked about it, you might want to cut that component back to only a couple of percent of the grist (and even if it was tart, I wouldn't go above 8%).

+Quote Post
red131
post May 19 2012, 11:10 AM
Post #4

Assistant Brewer

Member No.: 2,693

I actually emailed Rogue and their brewmaster said that my grainbil looked good, however they use the Czech Pils Wyeast 2278 and Horizon hops in their Good Chit Pilsner. So this confirms that the website is corrects..... however, I am still curious as to why they would go through the trouble of making up bottles with the PACMAN yeast strain.

So I figured that I would just go ahead and brew both recipes and compare the two. Right now, I have the PACMAN version fermenting in the fridge. I started fermenting at 55F and droped it 5F each day until I hit 40F. It has been fermenting for 2 weeks now and their is still activity in the air lock.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th August 2018 - 09:33 AM