IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Very new making second batch of mead and stumped..
Meowna
post Feb 13 2012, 11:02 AM
Post #1

Group: New Member
Member No.: 17,484

I am very new to brewing. I stumbled across a recipe for Ancient Mead and gave it a go in two one gallon jugs, it turned out so yummy I now have 7 gallons of it on the go. I do have a question, It has been just two weeks and one of the smaller jugs seemed to have slowed right down so I racked it, it still seems quite slow..what do I do if anything?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kevin
post Feb 14 2012, 04:15 PM
Post #2

Brewer
Group Icon

Group: Guest Moderator
Member No.: 500

If it slowed down and yeast was coming out of suspension, then you racked it, there is probably not very much yeast now.
Try adding a bit of yeast energizer and some fresh yeast to see if that will kick start the ferment.
This is all assuming the fermentation didn't just plain finish faster than the others. It is possible even if it is th same yeast / must.

QUOTE(Meowna @ Feb 13 2012, 04:02 PM) *
I am very new to brewing. I stumbled across a recipe for Ancient Mead and gave it a go in two one gallon jugs, it turned out so yummy I now have 7 gallons of it on the go. I do have a question, It has been just two weeks and one of the smaller jugs seemed to have slowed right down so I racked it, it still seems quite slow..what do I do if anything?

+Quote Post
Dave F
post Feb 17 2012, 04:03 PM
Post #3

Brewmaster

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,012

QUOTE(Kevin @ Feb 14 2012, 04:15 PM) *
If it slowed down and yeast was coming out of suspension, then you racked it, there is probably not very much yeast now.
Try adding a bit of yeast energizer and some fresh yeast to see if that will kick start the ferment.
This is all assuming the fermentation didn't just plain finish faster than the others. It is possible even if it is th same yeast / must.

+1 to what Kevin said, and also, consider taking a gravity reading...that's really the only way to see where you are in the course of fermentation. But overall, you probably racked too early...I generally wait until primary is completely finished and I'm at essentially final gravity, and the yeast has mostly dropped before I even consider racking.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th May 2018 - 02:39 AM