Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dry hopping troubles w/ filtration
NitroJunkie2
post Jul 24 2012, 11:19 AM
Post #1

Stewart

Group: New Member
Member No.: 13,361

I've been having some trouble with my leftover hops in a carboy.
They either go through my racking cane (plastic auto-siphon) into the beer, or clog up the pantyhose I have over the end.
This leads to an increase in suction and a bunch of air bubbles coming through, effectively oxidizing my potentially awesome beer. (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/banghead.gif)
I throw the hops in without a bag since I want increased surface area for max. hop flavor/aromas so a hop bag is not what I'm looking for.
Also, I had a terrible clog at the neck of a carboy with one, so I'll not do that again.
I've heard cold-crashing for 24-48 hours can help with reducing hop pellet leftovers. Any other ideas?
Also, any ideas for whole hop removal? (And getting them into a carboy? besides one cone at a time...)
Thanks for the help
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dave F
post Jul 27 2012, 12:19 AM
Post #2

Brewmaster

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,012

Honestly, I've never had any issues with clogging from hops...I do generally dry hop in a sack, so if you're having issues, consider it. If you use a big enough sack, you shouldn't need to worry about lack of surface area/fluid contact. One other thing I've read/heard is to try a wad of sanitized steel wool on the end of the racking cane/siphon.

+Quote Post
NitroJunkie2
post Jul 27 2012, 01:16 AM
Post #3

Stewart

Group: New Member
Member No.: 13,361

QUOTE(Dave F @ Jul 26 2012, 10:19 PM) *
Honestly, I've never had any issues with clogging from hops...I do generally dry hop in a sack, so if you're having issues, consider it. If you use a big enough sack, you shouldn't need to worry about lack of surface area/fluid contact. One other thing I've read/heard is to try a wad of sanitized steel wool on the end of the racking cane/siphon.

Thanks for the reply,
I tried a bag before and it was a bit of a nightmare getting out of the carboy. I swore never to do that again.
Do you think steel wool will be fine enough to catch pellet hop bits?
I think I'll try a hop tea as well.

+Quote Post
Thorhale
post Jul 27 2012, 04:54 AM
Post #4

Brewmaster

Member No.: 11,628

QUOTE(NitroJunkie2 @ Jul 26 2012, 11:16 PM) *
Thanks for the reply,
I tried a bag before and it was a bit of a nightmare getting out of the carboy. I swore never to do that again.
Do you think steel wool will be fine enough to catch pellet hop bits?
I think I'll try a hop tea as well.

Try a carboy with a wider neck or better, a bucket fermenter.

+Quote Post
danmcc
post Jul 28 2012, 09:24 PM
Post #5

Brewer

Member No.: 3,100

QUOTE(NitroJunkie2 @ Jul 24 2012, 12:19 PM) *
I've been having some trouble with my leftover hops in a carboy.
They either go through my racking cane (plastic auto-siphon) into the beer, or clog up the pantyhose I have over the end.
This leads to an increase in suction and a bunch of air bubbles coming through, effectively oxidizing my potentially awesome beer. (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/banghead.gif)
I throw the hops in without a bag since I want increased surface area for max. hop flavor/aromas so a hop bag is not what I'm looking for.
Also, I had a terrible clog at the neck of a carboy with one, so I'll not do that again.
I've heard cold-crashing for 24-48 hours can help with reducing hop pellet leftovers. Any other ideas?
Also, any ideas for whole hop removal? (And getting them into a carboy? besides one cone at a time...)
Thanks for the help

Cold crashing helps a great deal. The hop bag I have used is a paint filter for enamel paint. It is huge but is easier to get out since it's mass is so big.

edit, make sure you are using a 6.5 carboy not a 5. The mouth is a bit bigger I believe.

This post has been edited by danmcc: Jul 28 2012, 09:27 PM

+Quote Post
Thorhale
post Jul 29 2012, 05:42 AM
Post #6

Brewmaster

Member No.: 11,628

Better bottles have nice wide mouths Too

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th November 2020 - 02:48 AM