Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Whiskey Barrel, How would you use it
g8shot1
post Aug 9 2012, 09:19 AM
Post #1

Assistant Brewer

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,147

I recently acquired a 5 gallon whiskey barrel from a local distillery. I've never used one before and am thinking of putting a baltic porter into it for a month. Experienced comments would be appreciated.

My thoughts are that I would dump 5 gallons of hot/boiling water into the barrel, put the bung in and roll it around a bit then drain. Then use as a secondary for one month before racking into a keg for a couple months. This porter recipe needs at around 4 months before it hits its stride but I'm thinking that would be way too much time in the barrel.

Thoughts?

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Thorhale
post Aug 10 2012, 01:59 AM
Post #2

Brewmaster

Member No.: 11,628

How you prep the barrel is going to depend, has it dried out? You may need to do an extended soak to swell the wood. If its whiskey then the inside should be pretty clean, if not near steril. Unless you want to make a sour, you do want to put the beer in after primary fermentation kicks into full gear. Lastly the amount of flavor you get from the oak is going to depend on how much it was used previously. My undrstanding is after about 5 years they are pretty much neutral.

Good luck!

+Quote Post
g8shot1
post Aug 10 2012, 09:04 AM
Post #3

Assistant Brewer

QUOTE(Thorhale @ Aug 10 2012, 02:59 AM) *
How you prep the barrel is going to depend, has it dried out? You may need to do an extended soak to swell the wood. If its whiskey then the inside should be pretty clean, if not near steril. Unless you want to make a sour, you do want to put the beer in after primary fermentation kicks into full gear. Lastly the amount of flavor you get from the oak is going to depend on how much it was used previously. My undrstanding is after about 5 years they are pretty much neutral.
Good luck!

The barrel has not dried, the whiskey that was in it was just bottled a couple weeks ago.

I was thinking of using the barrel as a secondary, after a 7-10 day primary fermentation.

+Quote Post
Ijones
post Aug 14 2012, 02:52 PM
Post #4

Homebrewer

Member No.: 12,127

I would use the barrel as is with some wiskey essence left in it. Wait for secondary like you said to reduce the risk of infection but skip the boiling water. I would put a nice imperial stout or maybe a nice barleywine in it. Leave for two weeks and start tasting every few days to see where you are. I have never used a barrel before so this may be bad advise but thats what I would do if I had one! I would imagine that if you aged the beer a few months (ore a year for a barleywine) the intensity from the barrel would smooth out like other flavors. May go a little past what you think is right on for flavor. again just my 2 cents with no experiance to draw off of.

+Quote Post
g8shot1
post Aug 15 2012, 12:59 PM
Post #5

Assistant Brewer

QUOTE(Ijones @ Aug 14 2012, 03:52 PM) *
I would use the barrel as is with some wiskey essence left in it. Wait for secondary like you said to reduce the risk of infection but skip the boiling water. I would put a nice imperial stout or maybe a nice barleywine in it. Leave for two weeks and start tasting every few days to see where you are. I have never used a barrel before so this may be bad advise but thats what I would do if I had one! I would imagine that if you aged the beer a few months (ore a year for a barleywine) the intensity from the barrel would smooth out like other flavors. May go a little past what you think is right on for flavor. again just my 2 cents with no experiance to draw off of.

Appreciate hearing your thoughts!

+Quote Post
Thorhale
post Aug 18 2012, 03:48 AM
Post #6

Brewmaster

Member No.: 11,628

Ive had an oak aged triple from the bruery. Great freaking beer

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th November 2020 - 07:22 AM