IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Wild Hops, Errrr... any way to get a ballpark IBU or AA value?
g8shot1
post Aug 29 2012, 09:02 AM
Post #1

Assistant Brewer

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,147

Last year an acquaintance told me he had hops growing on his property, he didn't plant it. The plant ran up a telephone poll guide wire on its own. I went there in Feb and cleared the area a bit, removed old growth etc. I know NY used to be a significant hops producer a long time ago. I've also read that most of the "wild" hops I would run into is likely to be cluster. Is there any way to get an idea of the AA or IBU value short of sending it to a lab? I'm going to harvest this in the next couple of days.
(IMG:http://jmd.org/beer/hops2012.jpg)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ChicagoWaterGuy
post Aug 30 2012, 11:02 AM
Post #2

Brewer

Member No.: 11,219

I'd brew two beers with them. The first would be a SMaSH beer with a bittering addition only. This should give you an idea of how they bitter. The second beer would be with a known quantity of clean bittering hops like magnum and use these hops in the flavor and aroma charge to see that character in a beer.

+Quote Post
BardsBrew
post Aug 30 2012, 11:03 AM
Post #3

Assistant Brewer

Member No.: 14,736

I ran into a similar situation a few years ago. I have been using them as flavor/aroma hops and making some good beer with them. Mine seem to be close to cascades in smell so thats what I use in the calculation but who knows.....
(IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/cheers.gif)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th November 2020 - 01:52 AM