Reply to this topicStart new topic
> best sanitizer for small items?
cfiffpm
post Sep 6 2012, 08:05 PM
Post #1

Homebrewer

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,521

Occasionally, I need to sanitize a small thing....maybe a wine thief to take a sample, or an oxygenation stone for a stuck fermantation. I normally use Star-san, but that's designed to be mixed in a 5 gallon batch...maybe a 2 1/2 gallon batch if your careful...but I just want soup-dishful to dip something in.
Bleach seems like kind of a nasty thing to dip something into that's about to go straight into your wort...any suggestions?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Thorhale
post Sep 6 2012, 10:48 PM
Post #2

Brewmaster

Member No.: 11,628

I have heard of guys using a dedicated sanitizer keg, just get what you need on demand.

+Quote Post
TheProfessor
post Sep 9 2012, 11:05 AM
Post #3

Brewer

Member No.: 12,347

QUOTE(cfiffpm @ Sep 6 2012, 09:05 PM) *
Occasionally, I need to sanitize a small thing....maybe a wine thief to take a sample, or an oxygenation stone for a stuck fermantation. I normally use Star-san, but that's designed to be mixed in a 5 gallon batch...maybe a 2 1/2 gallon batch if your careful...but I just want soup-dishful to dip something in.
Bleach seems like kind of a nasty thing to dip something into that's about to go straight into your wort...any suggestions?

StarSan doesn't have to be made in 5 gallon batches...I've never mixed that much. Ever since I began using it, I have always mixed it in 1 gallon batches, using distilled water. The measuring spout area on the bottle makes that a pretty easy proposition.
To make 1 gallon at a time, just use a hair less than 1/4 oz of StarSan to a gallon of water.
If you use distilled water, that gallon of sanitizer will stay active for months if need be.

This post has been edited by TheProfessor: Sep 9 2012, 11:06 AM

+Quote Post
Mashtun
post Sep 11 2012, 07:39 PM
Post #4

Stewart

Group: New Member
Member No.: 9,242

I use a black plastic wallpaper tray for sanitizing long skinny items like racking canes, hoses and syphon starter.

+Quote Post
BelgianBoy
post Sep 17 2012, 06:16 PM
Post #5

Brewmaster

Member No.: 4,616

I just eyeball anything under a gallon and have never had a problem. Just do what looks like it makes sense

+Quote Post
pilsenhammer
post Oct 3 2012, 05:04 PM
Post #6

Brewer

Member No.: 13,746

Sounds like everyone likes StarSan. That is what I use. I have a couple 2 or 3 litre jugs that I store a mixed StarSan solution in. I pour out what ever I may need, then pour it back in the bottle when finished. I also use a wall paper tray for doing long items. At my buddy's house we have a covered 5 gal bucket of mixed starsan that we just dip things in when needed.

+Quote Post
bianchiveloce
post Oct 14 2012, 07:36 AM
Post #7

Homebrewer

Member No.: 9,996

In the past, when checking on the progress of my fermentation, I've kept mixed up StarSan in a spray bottle to take care of sanitizing small items used in testing.

+Quote Post
Dean Palmer
post Feb 27 2013, 04:00 PM
Post #8

Brewmaster

Member No.: 8,306

Like others have said, no reason to mix up more than what you need to spray on something. No need to soak and no need for special trays or buckets.

StarSan can be mixed in amounts as small as your high school fractions class taught you to figure out. I usually mix about 1.25 gallons at most, and that costs about 12 cents, so toss it afterwards or save some in a spray bottle to use randomly.

Do not store it in kegs or any metal container, it will damage them eventually.

Matter of fact, for as cheap as it is, throw the extra away.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th November 2020 - 07:02 AM