Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A Couple Question and Maybe a BIG Problem
wtamme
post Sep 9 2012, 08:47 PM
Post #1

Homebrewer

Group: Members
Member No.: 391

I am a wine maker and this is my first attempt at hard cider.

First, the potential problem:
I was given ~45 gallons of fresh squeezed apple cider. It had an initial SG of 1.040 and the ph was around 3.2. I used wine yeast and it fermented down to .994 which should give me about 6% ABV. When I opened the primary to rack over, there is a white film on the surface. It smells fine. Any idea what this could be and is it harmful? Anything I can do?

Now the question:
How much sugar do I need to prime each .5 liter bottle? Also, will course filtering hurt anything before I rime and bottle?

Thanks in advance.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kevin
post Sep 9 2012, 09:30 PM
Post #2

Brewer
Group Icon

Group: Guest Moderator
Member No.: 500

That happens with cider from time to time, you don't have to worry about it. If you are concerned, rack all but the last inch or so from under the floaters which are probably just residual bubbles or film from the skins from pressing.

If you are trying to prime for carbonation about 3/4 cup sugar or 1 cup honey/maple syrup or 1/2 cup molasses per 5 gallons ought to get you where you want. Each will give slightly different flavor impacts though with the molasses having the most noticeable one.

Kevin

QUOTE(wtamme @ Sep 10 2012, 01:47 AM) *
I am a wine maker and this is my first attempt at hard cider.

First, the potential problem:
I was given ~45 gallons of fresh squeezed apple cider. It had an initial SG of 1.040 and the ph was around 3.2. I used wine yeast and it fermented down to .994 which should give me about 6% ABV. When I opened the primary to rack over, there is a white film on the surface. It smells fine. Any idea what this could be and is it harmful? Anything I can do?

Now the question:
How much sugar do I need to prime each .5 liter bottle? Also, will course filtering hurt anything before I rime and bottle?

Thanks in advance.

+Quote Post
fatbloke
post Sep 30 2012, 03:22 AM
Post #3

Homebrewer

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,928

As Kevins suggestion for the racking.

For bottle priming, I like to use between 1/4 and 1/2 a teaspoon of priming sugar/dextrose/glucose per half litre/pint.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th August 2018 - 01:11 AM