Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Plate vs Immersion Chilling, For 15-20 gal batches
mbg
post Feb 27 2013, 10:48 PM
Post #16

Homebrewer

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,313

15 gal. is big time brewing. I have an immersion chiller and have been reading a little about work stirrers. On my last 5-gal. batch I used my brewing spoon to stir the wort as I chilled it and I cut the chill time at least in half. Are wort stirrers used much to speed up chilling?

Mike
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BardsBrew
post Feb 28 2013, 08:57 AM
Post #17

Assistant Brewer

Member No.: 14,736

What happens with the cold break material when you use a plate chiller? Does it end up in your fermenter? I can't see how that would be good...... (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/scratch.gif)

+Quote Post
Dean Palmer
post Feb 28 2013, 01:00 PM
Post #18

Brewmaster

Member No.: 8,306

QUOTE(BardsBrew @ Feb 28 2013, 08:57 AM) *
What happens with the cold break material when you use a plate chiller? Does it end up in your fermenter? I can't see how that would be good...... (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/scratch.gif)

It really doesn't matter first of all. You can dump it all into your fermenter and rack off it at the end anyway. That said, you are not pumping all the debris through the plate chiller, just the suspended part that gets sucked up.

In practice, folks using a plate chiller can whirlpool for a while to settle out the debris before chilling, or use a filter of some sort and recirculate back to the kettle to let the debris settle out so that when the wort is pumped to the fermenter most debris is left in the kettle. You will be recirculating through the chillers and some debris will be going along for the ride. It's a non-issue for most folks.

In my kettles, one has a false bottom (the keg kettle) and I recirculate for a while before pumping the fermenter. The false bottom and the use of some whole hops makes a decent filter bed.

In another larger (20g) kettle that is made for whirlpooling and has a side return port, that whirlpool settles the debris out as well. No filter device needed.

I have a filter canister from Brewers Hardware that I had planned on using on the kettle output, but it has never proven to work there. It has always seemed to have a flow problem when used right off the kettle valve. I have used it after the pump/before chiller and it has worked in that location however, and it seems to grab a lot of debris. Although not needed, this device is a nice solution to have in your toolbox when there is a large load of hops to deal with.

There are lots of ways to skin the cat, but don't be paranoid about a bit of debris getting to the fermenter in any case.

+Quote Post
manplant
post Feb 28 2013, 09:21 PM
Post #19

Assistant Brewer

Member No.: 12,995

These have all been very helpful discussions. In the end I went with a 25 gal pot and added a 60' 5/8" OD super immersion from Morebeer.com. I used a 4 way garden splitter and added the 3 addtional 3/8 immersion chillers I had handy as well. Tap water ran through them until 120F them I switched over to a harbor freight 1700 gph 20' head submersible in 10 gal ice bath. Cool to pitch was 25 min. 35 min down to 55f.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th November 2020 - 06:28 PM