Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bright Tank, Is it necessary?
cmace
post Dec 8 2012, 03:00 PM
Post #1

Stewart

Group: New Member
Member No.: 10,788

My Doppelbock just finished fermenting and the plan is to lager in a bright tank for a few months. For the bright tank I'm planning to use a corny with an inch or so cut off the long, beer-out tube. After that I'm planning to transfer it from the bright tank to another corny for carbonating/dispensing. I'm wondering how this is any better than simply lagering in a regular corny (without the tube cut)? Won't the first glass or two suck all the trub from the bottom of the keg leaving me with a "bright" beer? It would save me a transfer and I wouldn't need to cut the tube on one of my kegs. Thanks in advance. Cheers!

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
pilsenhammer
post Dec 10 2012, 06:45 PM
Post #2

Brewer

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,746

The sediment that comes out of the scondary is relatively light. I have done this without an issue, but sometimes the beer still takes a while to clear, with chill haze finally falling out after a couple months.

+Quote Post
TheProfessor
post Dec 24 2012, 06:56 PM
Post #3

Brewer

Member No.: 12,347

I find that an extended cold aging in glass (with a bit of gelatin finings) before final transfer to keg for carbonation
via forced co2 makes for a better tasting beer (of just about any style)...as well as resulting in a bright, clear pour from the first glass to the very last.

If you can wait a bit longer, you don't even need the gelatin.
It's just all about patience, really. Time is your friend with beers such as this.
The Germans certainly don' rush their Dopplebocks.

+Quote Post
Dean Palmer
post Feb 27 2013, 03:53 PM
Post #4

Brewmaster

Member No.: 8,306

My second or third vessel (or the one right before serving) is my "bright tank" where the finished beer is stored cold (lagered) and on gas pressure. When it is ready to serve it is racked to a serving tank which leaves the remaining sediment behind and leaves you with a keg of beer that can be moved and transported with no worries about clarity.

You don't need to be cutting dip tubes and such anytime after the primary unless you are doing something strange. At most bend the tube up and away of it is right on the bottom, or just toss the first few ounces. If you are moving your second or bright tank within hours before transfers you are screwing up the process.

While this process is simple when you use a keg system and C02, it is not something I'd suggest for every process or even every recipe. Like anything else in this hobby, everything has its place. The debate on processes like this is like anything else here, endless, such as "should I use a "scondary"" so understand why and when to use it and what the benefits and drawbacks are.

This post has been edited by Dean Palmer: Feb 27 2013, 03:55 PM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th November 2020 - 06:40 AM