Reply to this topicStart new topic
> dry hopping techniques
buzzkill
post Mar 16 2013, 04:47 PM
Post #1

Homebrewer

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,728

I know this is a fairly simple question, but wanted to get opinions on dry hopping for secondary 5 gal glass carboys using pellet hops. I've always just dropped them into the carboys, but thinking about getting some screen tubes (torpedos) and trying that, or using a hop bag with some weight in it.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Vinman
post Mar 18 2013, 02:39 PM
Post #2

Homebrewer

Member No.: 1,971

QUOTE(buzzkill @ Mar 16 2013, 05:47 PM) *
I know this is a fairly simple question, but wanted to get opinions on dry hopping for secondary 5 gal glass carboys using pellet hops. I've always just dropped them into the carboys, but thinking about getting some screen tubes (torpedos) and trying that, or using a hop bag with some weight in it.

I just dry hopped in a bucket for the first time. It's a lot more accessible than the narrow neck on a carboy. I'll probably continue doing it this way because not only is it easier to get the hops in, it is easier to get them out too since I used a hop bag.

When I dry hopped in a carboy, I didn't use a hop bag. I just dumped all the pellets in. If you swirl them around they fall to the bottom of the carboy.

+Quote Post
pilsenhammer
post Mar 21 2013, 08:10 PM
Post #3

Brewer

Member No.: 13,746

QUOTE(buzzkill @ Mar 16 2013, 03:47 PM) *

I use a "Sure Screen" on the end of my racking cane for separating pellet dry hops as I rack. I also have used a nylon or muslin hop bag over the output end of the racking hose. Both work very well. For loose whole hops I use the screen over the racking cane also.

+Quote Post
Dave F
post Mar 23 2013, 09:09 PM
Post #4

Brewmaster

Member No.: 7,012

I use a disposable muslin bag, and use some sanitized glass bits to get it to sink down into the container...as long as you're not using a huge quantity of hops, it's not that difficult to get it into the neck of a carboy (even a glass one, but better bottles are easier with their wider opening...)

+Quote Post
Bierliebhaber
post Mar 24 2013, 03:04 AM
Post #5

Brewer

Member No.: 15,313

I really don't understand the discussion...I've never had any problem with pellets. Whole hops are great for the boil/whirlpool, but the beauty of pellets is the dry hop. Pellets make dry hopping EASY. Easy into the carboy and they settle nice and compact within 10-14 days (sooner if you have crashing capability). I've always dumped my pellets right in and have had no problems siphoning.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th November 2020 - 05:58 PM