Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Question on Brix
DavidG
post Mar 21 2013, 02:47 PM
Post #1

Homebrewer

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,000

I'm confused about starting Brix. I have read that a dry wine can be 0 or even negative Brix, does the starting Brix have an impact on that number for anything other than
alcohol content? Will the ending Brix always be around 0 or does that also depend on starting Brix and alcohol level of the yeast?

I use a SG hydrometer and Brix refractometer (plus spreadsheet) now for measurements so the only Brix exposure I have is with that and it never gets below about 8 Brix due
to ethanol inclusion so I've never seen a 0 Brix reading that's why I'm curious.

Just as a bonus question - what is the easiest scale to use? Brix or SG? Both seem to have positives and negatives about them.
Why do pros only seem to use Brix?

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fatbloke
post May 23 2013, 04:48 PM
Post #2

Homebrewer

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,928

QUOTE(DavidG @ Mar 21 2013, 08:47 PM) *
I'm confused about starting Brix. I have read that a dry wine can be 0 or even negative Brix, does the starting Brix have an impact on that number for anything other than
alcohol content? Will the ending Brix always be around 0 or does that also depend on starting Brix and alcohol level of the yeast?

I use a SG hydrometer and Brix refractometer (plus spreadsheet) now for measurements so the only Brix exposure I have is with that and it never gets below about 8 Brix due
to ethanol inclusion so I've never seen a 0 Brix reading that's why I'm curious.

Just as a bonus question - what is the easiest scale to use? Brix or SG? Both seem to have positives and negatives about them.
Why do pros only seem to use Brix?

It's all the same thing really, but you can use brix to measure individual grapes, so you can know when the time of max sugar is available in a grape, whereas to get enough juice to do an SG test, you'd end up wasting a lot of grapes.

Hence the pro's don't only use brix, but they will use it for checking the harvest. Then start taking gravity measurements once the grapes are de-stemmed and crushed.

That way they can monitor the ferment, carrying out the various processes they want at the right time/levels.

If need be, you could always get a refractometer that has both brix and Oechsle scale on it. The Oechsle scale is almost identical to SG, just a tiny bit different.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th November 2018 - 03:18 PM