IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Use refractometer for maple syrup?, Will it work?
cfiffpm
post Apr 16 2013, 05:07 PM
Post #1

Homebrewer

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,521

Someday, I will make a bottle of really crappy wine, and when I do I will need to buy a refractometer. But today I am making maple syrup, and for this I could ALSO use a refractometer. Come to think of it, I make passable beer, (I'm workin' on it) and I could use a refractometer for that too!
So buying a refractometer seems like a good idea, except I have no idea how they work, and I'm worried that these three disciplines use different scales and would require diffident refractometers. (Do they?)
For those unfamiliar with syrup...you take some sap that is about 1% sugar, and boil off enough water until it is about 66% sugar, which you can measure with a refractometer. Beer is primarily concerned with specific gravity to determine alcohol content, and wine uses "brix" which I don't understand, but I'll read up on once my grapes mature...someday.
But Back to the question..do these three calculations require three differently scaled refractometers? Or can the information I'm looking for be determined mathematically from one refractometer?
Thanks in advance for the advice!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kevin
post Apr 17 2013, 09:23 PM
Post #2

Brewer
Group Icon

Group: Guest Moderator
Member No.: 500

I dont see why it wouldnt work. Some refractometers do specific gravity and brix so you would be covered.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th August 2018 - 11:56 PM