IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fruit zest, Most effective way to add fruit flavoring to beer?
Bambamconman
post Jun 10 2013, 04:15 PM
Post #1

Group: New Member
Member No.: 18,077

Hey everyone I'm new to brewing and just wanted to know the best way to add a hint of fruit flavoring to beer. Also, has anyone ever used ruby red grapefruit? I thought it might make a deliciously citrusy beer. Thanks
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sirwillliam
post Jul 3 2013, 07:26 PM
Post #2

Brewer

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,538

Citrus zest makes an awesome addition to beer. It's been quite a while so I don't remember exactly but I recall making a really tasty pale ale (maybe wit) with homegrown satsuma orange zest. I tried to repeat the feat later on in a different beer using zest from some fancy high-end store bought oranges and it was terrible! The oranges smelled great but I think they had a coating of wax to make 'em pretty. The offending oranges were from Whole Foods so don't be fooled.

So, yes. Citrus zest, including grapefruit can make for some great beer. Try to use homegrown if possible, if not, be sure to test the zest by soaking it in some beer for a few days to test the flavor.

I would add the zest to secondary and let it hang out for a few days. Make sure you get just the zest, the pith will make it bitter. And wash them fruits! You want to avoid adding too many bugs to this beer. You should drink this one quickly anyway so that shouldn't be a problem.

Good luck sir!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th November 2020 - 06:24 PM