Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Thermowell in a Gott Cooler?
malangon
post Sep 16 2013, 11:10 AM
Post #1

Brewer

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,600

I am interested in using a stainless steel thermowell through the side of my 10 gallon gott cooler in my mash tun. I have always just dropped the probe into the mash, but it gets tangled, it reads different, etc. I'd like to experiment with a mash mixer, but a loose probe won't work any more. If I drop a thermowell from the top, then it seems like it would be clumsy and I would need another hole in the top.

Has anybody done a thermowell through the side of their cooler successfully? The reason I have doubts is that I think if I tighten it, it will compress the wall and cause damage or leaks. Any suggestions?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
malangon
post Sep 17 2013, 12:08 PM
Post #2

Brewer

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,600

Since I found the answer, I thought I would post it in case anybody else has the same question. There are two methods I found:

1) If you have liquid flowing (RIMS, HERMS, etc.), you can put the probe in the plumbing. In this case, a probe connected to the outport would give the most accurate reading.

2) If you don't have flow, Blichmann has instructions on how to add one to a cooler on their website. It involves cutting two different size holds in the plastic.

Anyway, have a good one...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th November 2020 - 07:00 AM