Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hi new to site and having beer issues, Beer Issues
poolshooter22
post Oct 10 2013, 08:51 AM
Post #1

Group: New Member
Member No.: 18,175

Hello,

I have a few question concerning a batch of pale ale I just brewed. First a little history been brewing for about a year and a half now and stopped for a bit because bottling was a PITA. Got to talking to my neighbor across the street and found he also home brews and kegs so I got started again with alot more equipment much to my wife dismay (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/smile.gif) Did a IPA that came out ok (rushed it ) My second batch I just did was a Pale ale. I tried some new things this time and as I put it in the secondary today it smells and taste like crap. Here are the changes I made.

Used Regular tap water instead of bottle water. ( used a Camden tablet for Chlorine)

When putting into fermenter used a paint straining bag and strained the hops out for what I had hoped would be a cleaner beer.

Pitched a dry yeast using a stir plate (was warmer than wort so threw stir plate in freezer running to bring temp down quickly)

OG was 1.054 and when I put into secondary today it was 1.020 and has a vinger/cidery smell and taste. Now one thing I did notice was a fruit fly in my fridge and from what I have read in John Palmer book this batch is basically hosed. Is this correct or is it a time heals all things issue? Also any ideas what would have caused this. It was a extract kit from brewing store.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BardsBrew
post Oct 10 2013, 10:52 AM
Post #2

Assistant Brewer

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,736

Sounds like you may have an infection? How did you clean all your equipment after your long hiatis? Does your tap water taste good just to drink? What is the paint strainer made of and how did you clean/sanitize it? And why use a stir plate for dry yeast on a low gravity beer?

I am no expert but if it tastes and smells bad from primary I would not think it will get better in the secondary...... (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/crazy.gif)

+Quote Post
poolshooter22
post Oct 10 2013, 11:11 AM
Post #3

Yes cleaned everything (this was 3rd batch since restarting. For the bag same a a hop bag just bigger soaked in san star and shook excess off before straining. Yes water taste fine to me . And used a stir plate to rehydrate yeast as I thought I was suppose to for better ferment (to much reading maybe (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
BardsBrew
post Oct 10 2013, 12:40 PM
Post #4

Assistant Brewer

Hmmmmm...... Not sure what it could be..... As for the dry yeast, I have had the best luck just sprinkling on top of wort when the temp is right unless it's a big beer, and then I've either rehydrated or used two packs. Has worked both ways.

Not sure what's up with this board, nobody posts anymore either with questions or answers but a lot read the posts. Been looking for a more active board, if you find one let me know.

Anyone else out there?(IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/sorry.gif) ?? (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/scratch.gif)

This post has been edited by BardsBrew: Oct 10 2013, 12:41 PM

+Quote Post
poolshooter22
post Oct 10 2013, 06:09 PM
Post #5

I think the issue is Acetobacter. When I racked it today I left some in a small bowl out side the fermenting fridge. It looked like a parade for fruit flies around the left out sample.

+Quote Post
BardsBrew
post Oct 10 2013, 08:43 PM
Post #6

Assistant Brewer

BUMMER! Can you boil brats in it? (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/banghead.gif)

+Quote Post
poolshooter22
post Oct 12 2013, 07:23 PM
Post #7

Ok think I narrowed it down to the fermenting bucket. I cleaned the hell out of it but thought I could still smell last batch I fermented in the bucket so cleaned it again. Used PBW and Sanstar both and thought it was fixed. After this batch went bad I filled bucket with bleach water and let it soak for a day then dumped it and let it dry can still smell bad batch in it. I am thinking the bucket has scratches in it that I can see and it permeated the bucket. Will be going to 6.5 glass carboy next and therm wraps for colder weather brewing.

+Quote Post
pilsenhammer
post Oct 30 2013, 06:45 PM
Post #8

Brewer

Member No.: 13,746

Next time, if you rehydrate your dry yeast, use boiled, cooled, 90 deg water and sprinkle the yeast on top and leave UNDISTURBED for 20-30 min. Its best if you use a small amount of water as to make a paste-like consistency (per Lallemand instruction). Stir plates are for propagating liquid yeast. That cidery taste may be from a bad fermentation that didn't finish.

+Quote Post
SKCS
post Nov 6 2013, 08:08 PM
Post #9

Stewart

Member No.: 1,691

I prefer the glass carboys. If affordable, I'd switch to them.

+Quote Post
ChefLamont
post Dec 29 2013, 03:37 PM
Post #10

Brewmaster

Member No.: 2,007

Honestly I dont think your fruit fly experiment proves much. They love beer too, so I wouldnt conclude its acetobacter from that.

Since you are not sure if it is fermentation by-product (acetaldehyde which some think is apple and slightly cidery) or infection - possibly acetobacter, a good way to test is to leave your keg out at room temp for a week or two. Pull samples every couple of days. If it is fermentaion byproducts, they wont really get worse and could actually improve if leftover yeast do some cleanup. If it continually gets worse, then it is infection. Not hugely scientific, but would be a good experiment.

BTW if you do have an acetobacter infection in the brewery, be prepared to go to war. Double clean and sanitize EVERYTHING. Throw out and replace all soft parts like hoses, and use mild bleach on every surface that doesnt direcly contact beer. That is a hard little bugger to get under control without nuclear-option cleaning.

my 2 cents.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th August 2018 - 02:44 PM