Reply to this topicStart new topic
> overcarbonated draft beer, pumped but not force carbonated
cfiffpm
post Oct 25 2013, 12:55 AM
Post #1

Homebrewer

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,521

I am pumping a commercial beer to a tap using CO2, and it is coming out overcarbonated. (the first 3 seconds spurt out and fill the glass half full of foam, and then the rest pumps normally) I am wondering if, since the beer in the keg is already carbonated, perhaps I'm overcarbonating it by using homebrew carbonating pressure, instead of simply enough to push it through the lines?
Specifics: Using a 25 foot length of line, with a 10 foot vertical rise from the keg to the tap, and 12 psi of pressure.
Would you shorten the line? Lower the pressure? Thanks in advance for any advice.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
pilsenhammer
post Oct 30 2013, 06:18 PM
Post #2

Brewer

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,746

What size is the line? 1/4" ID? Most HB systems use 3/16" line to add resistance shorter lines to help with foam. But with a 10' vertical and 25' of line, you shouldn't need 3/16. Bars use mixed gas to push the beer at higher pressures and longer runs. This avoids over carbonation as the mix is like 75% N and 25% CO2. Also, is the full length of line refrigerated? If not, the beer in the line will warm up and cause foaming. Most bars will have the beer lines run in a larger tube (like PVC) that also contains a glycol line (to and from taps) to keep it all cool all the way to the tap.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th November 2020 - 07:47 AM