Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Pale Ale Recipe Critique, Any remarks appreciated
Tiddy
post Feb 12 2014, 11:17 PM
Post #1

Stewart

Group: New Member
Member No.: 13,350

I was trying to do my own recipe formulation for an APA using a partial mash and was hoping some of you might have a few minutes to double check my recipe and let me know of any trouble you see in the amounts and ingredients. Thanks in advance for any response.

American Pale Ale

OG = 1.050/FG = 1.006
IBU = 42
ABV: 5.7%

8 lb pale malt
.66 lb crystal malt
.55 lb Munich malt
1 lb dry malt extract

Hops
Chinook = .5 oz @ 60 min
Cascade = 1 oz @ 20 min, .5 oz @ 5 min, Dry hop .5 oz in secondary

Thanks again. I know its not a crazy off the wall exciting recipe...but hope you might toss out a comment or two.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Vinman
post Feb 21 2016, 08:25 PM
Post #2

Homebrewer

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,971

QUOTE(Tiddy @ Feb 13 2014, 12:17 AM) *
I was trying to do my own recipe formulation for an APA using a partial mash and was hoping some of you might have a few minutes to double check my recipe and let me know of any trouble you see in the amounts and ingredients. Thanks in advance for any response.

American Pale Ale

OG = 1.050/FG = 1.006
IBU = 42

8 lb pale malt
.66 lb crystal malt
.55 lb Munich malt
1 lb dry malt extract

Hops
Chinook = .5 oz @ 60 min

Thanks again. I know its not a crazy off the wall exciting recipe...but hope you might toss out a comment or two.

I'm more of an IPA guy and have made hundreds of them. I suggest you check out the BeerSmith podcast and listen to it on your smart phone. Just search the feed for the topic you're looking for and you can get advice from an expert brewer. I've learned a whole lot from listening to the few episodes with Mitch Steele of Stone Brewing Company. There are episodes dedicated to recipe building as well. Sorry I don't have a specific answer to your recipe.

+Quote Post
TheProfessor
post Mar 16 2016, 05:15 PM
Post #3

Brewer

Member No.: 12,347

I think it looks delicious. But if it really finishes at OG 1.006 that's gonna be a pretty thin brew. What's you efficiency and what temperature are you mashing at??
I try to have all of my pale ales/bitter..regardless of sub-type.. finish no lower than 1.010 (and preferably a bit higher than that).
Maybe it's just me.

This post has been edited by TheProfessor: Mar 16 2016, 05:16 PM

+Quote Post
TheProfessor
post Dec 7 2016, 09:57 PM
Post #4

Brewer

Member No.: 12,347

QUOTE(Tiddy @ Feb 12 2014, 11:17 PM) *

American Pale Ale

OG = 1.050/FG = 1.006
IBU = 42

8 lb pale malt
.66 lb crystal malt
.55 lb Munich malt
1 lb dry malt extract

Hops
Chinook = .5 oz @ 60 min

I think it looks delicious...but I agree with a prior comment suggesting an adjustment to finish it at a higher gravity. I've done a similar ale fairly regularly for the past 40 years, and try always to finish it at no lower than 1.018. Any lower than 1.010, and it becomes thin and just not very good.

This post has been edited by TheProfessor: Dec 7 2016, 09:59 PM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd June 2018 - 03:25 AM