IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> At what point do you need to add more yeast?
leverlock
post Feb 17 2014, 04:27 PM
Post #1

Group: New Member
Member No.: 17,727

I just finished a batch of a Chamay knockoff. It reached the expected FG and i wanted to leave it sit in the fermenting bucket or possibly a carboy for another week or so to clear. Is there a point where it will be necessary to add some more yeast before bottling? If so, how can I tell when that point has come?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
pilsenhammer
post Feb 19 2014, 09:31 PM
Post #2

Brewer

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,746

QUOTE(leverlock @ Feb 17 2014, 03:27 PM) *
I just finished a batch of a Chamay knockoff. It reached the expected FG and i wanted to leave it sit in the fermenting bucket or possibly a carboy for another week or so to clear. Is there a point where it will be necessary to add some more yeast before bottling? If so, how can I tell when that point has come?

Generally, if you leave the beer for more than a couple months, then you may want to add some yeast (cheap insurance). I usually add yeast to any beer I bottle, but I only bottle stronger beers like 8% and up. For a 5 gal batch, add half a 5 g packet of Red Star wine yeast (cheap, like 80 cents), but rehydrate it first and add to the bottling bucket along with the priming sugar.

+Quote Post
Fletch
post Mar 9 2014, 02:47 PM
Post #3

Brewmaster

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,232

QUOTE(leverlock @ Feb 17 2014, 02:27 PM) *

I have bottled quite a few batches that were 9 months and older. This includes 3 or 4 of our Brut champagne beer, which were primed to achieve in the area of 5 volumes of CO2. If your yeast was healthy when you started, a couple of months is not a problem.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th August 2018 - 02:44 PM