Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sediment in Bottles, Need filtration advice
Vinman
post Jan 17 2015, 07:05 PM
Post #1

Homebrewer

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,971

I've been brewing for a long time and feel like I know what I'm doing. However, no matter what I have tried, I still ens up with sediment in my bottles after they are filled. I could siphon off the top and leave a few inches of beer behind, I suppose which would leave the beer cleaner. Maybe I should ditch bottling all together? Any suggestions?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Swagman
post Jan 21 2015, 12:56 PM
Post #2

Brewmaster

Member No.: 5,002

QUOTE(Vinman @ Jan 17 2015, 06:05 PM) *
I've been brewing for a long time and feel like I know what I'm doing. However, no matter what I have tried, I still ens up with sediment in my bottles after they are filled. I could siphon off the top and leave a few inches of beer behind, I suppose which would leave the beer cleaner. Maybe I should ditch bottling all together? Any suggestions?

You might trying letting sit a while longer in Secondary and when you transfer stay off the bottom sediment. Myself Keg's but heck a little sediment won't hurt

Swagman

+Quote Post
Vinman
post Jan 21 2015, 05:57 PM
Post #3

Homebrewer

Member No.: 1,971

QUOTE(Swagman @ Jan 21 2015, 12:56 PM) *
You might trying letting sit a while longer in Secondary and when you transfer stay off the bottom sediment. Myself Keg's but heck a little sediment won't hurt

Swagman

Thanks. I just made a batch of all grain imperial IPA and used 7 ounces of hops to dry hop with in a 5 gallon batch. I had the hops in hop bags, but minute hop particles get through the mesh of the hop bag. Maybe I shouldn't be so greedy trying to get as much beer as possible to bottle. Maybe I should siphon off the top and leave a few inches of beer behind.

+Quote Post
pilsenhammer
post Feb 16 2015, 08:49 PM
Post #4

Brewer

Member No.: 13,746

QUOTE(Vinman @ Jan 21 2015, 04:57 PM) *
Thanks. I just made a batch of all grain imperial IPA and used 7 ounces of hops to dry hop with in a 5 gallon batch. I had the hops in hop bags, but minute hop particles get through the mesh of the hop bag. Maybe I shouldn't be so greedy trying to get as much beer as possible to bottle. Maybe I should siphon off the top and leave a few inches of beer behind.

When I dry hop in the carboy, I use a "Sure Screen" on the end of my racking cane to filter out any particles. You can also use a fine nylon or muslin hop bag over the end of your racking hose as you fill the bottling bucket. If you have time, you could even let the bottling bucket sit for a half hour or so to allow the sediment to drop to the bottom of the bucket.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th June 2018 - 07:05 PM