Reply to this topicStart new topic
> hemp beer, any recipes out there?
Mike
post Feb 27 2004, 12:09 AM
Post #1

Assistant Brewer

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,492

A gardener friend of mine has asked me to help him brew a hemp beer. He has a plentiful supply of ingredients, so cost is no object, if you know what I mean.

Does anyone have any recipes?

Before you start telling me about how this is illegal, I'll tell you right now that I live in Canada, where we are on the verge of de-criminalizing personal possession. Our government even gives marijuana to the terminally ill, free of charge. So please don't start preaching.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
smokey
post Feb 27 2004, 12:40 AM
Post #2

Brewmaster

Member No.: 1,623

so you're looking for a beer/marijuanna tincture? I'd be curious as to how that works out. Not that I'd be consuming much of it, since every job in the US drug tests. Perhaps when the ridiculous "war on drugs" is over I could try it (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Chauvan
post Feb 27 2004, 12:55 AM
Post #3

Brewmaster

Member No.: 1,251

are you sure you want to do that? It would be like drinking bong water I think.

+Quote Post
the_stain
post Feb 27 2004, 01:29 AM
Post #4

Brewer

Member No.: 1,731

The ingredients in 'hemp' that you want to extract are alcohol soluble. The ones you don't want to extract are water soluble. So, I would suggest making a fairly high alcohol beer, then when it's nearing the end of completion, rack it onto a good amount of the plant matter (a few ounces? I don't know how much it would take) and let it sit for only a few days or so, then bottle as normal. Maybe stuff a little bud in each bottle for kicks? (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/smile.gif)

I have no idea if this would work or not... but it's how I'd do it, if I were inclined to try such things.

No idea what this would do to your wort bacterially speaking, either. Maybe if you microwaved it first? (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
smokey
post Feb 27 2004, 02:40 AM
Post #5

Brewmaster

<shudders at microwaving several ounced of "hemp">

Pasturize it... this is my non-proffessional advice. Use a small amount of water to pasturize the "additive" and then throw it (water and all) into the primary. Good luck (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
akbob
post Feb 27 2004, 02:47 AM
Post #6

Stewart

Group: New Member
Member No.: 1,700

Interesting article online. Still looking for a recipe. Let me know if you find one and try it.

http://www.onr.com/user/liberty/Marijuana/...Beer/MBeer.html

+Quote Post
smokey
post Feb 27 2004, 03:04 AM
Post #7

Brewmaster

After reading that, I will restate my advice to pasturizing two ounces and then dumping the whole mess into your secondary.

+Quote Post
the_stain
post Feb 27 2004, 10:03 AM
Post #8

Brewer

I would avoid pastuerization via heat if at all possible. Heat destroys THC.

The best way would probably be the way that article mentions -- distill the oils. I always heard that you could do this by taking a jar, filling it with Everclear, stuffing the 'product' in there, and capping it and letting it sit a long time, like a couple weeks, shaking it every day etc etc.. Then you open the lid and let it sit til most of the everclear evaporates off and you have sort of a thicker liquid in the bottom.. Refill with Everclear and repeat the entire process several times until you have a thickish, green liquid.

Add that to your beer and voila! Consequently, some people like to drink the stuff straight - it's called "Green Dragon" and is supposed to be way powerful. (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/smile.gif)

This post has been edited by the_stain: Feb 27 2004, 10:06 AM

+Quote Post
rix
post Feb 27 2004, 12:06 PM
Post #9

Assistant Brewer

Member No.: 1,649

i have to agree with "the stain"

i have heard of this method being used effectively as well. they called the resulting green liquid "swamp juice" or something like that, but that was years ago. i woud also avoid using a heat source, but i then again i have never tried this.

goodluck, take care and let us know how it turns out...not that we in the states can or would ever do anything like this...no way...nope...

+Quote Post
s018jmw
post Feb 27 2004, 01:14 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 1,782

I'll third the above solution... finely grind up an ounce or more (depending on how much kick you want) and let it sit in some everclear for a few days. Pitch into secondary. It won't taste like bong water. It should have a very pleasant aroma (much like hops to which it is indeed closely related). The only way I think you would be able to use heat is to simmer in a fatty medium (e.g. butter). Don't think that would taste good in beer though. Alcohol is your best bet.

+Quote Post
ScottS
post Feb 27 2004, 01:16 PM
Post #11

Brewmaster

Group: banned
Member No.: 1,340

Link

This guy seems to know what he is talking about. I, of course, would never endorse what he is saying to do, as marijuana posession is illegal in the US.

+Quote Post
Mike
post Feb 27 2004, 01:39 PM
Post #12

Assistant Brewer

Member No.: 1,492

Thanks for all the responses. I did some research of my own and seems that the everclear method is probably the best bet. I don't think our liquor stores carry the "Everclear" brand, but I'm sure I could find something similar.

I've seen vaporizers that heat the herb with out burning it, thus releasing the THC without the smoke. THC boils off at a lower temperature than the herb will burn, so I know that any heating would be bad.

To clarify, simple possession is still illegal in Canada. The gov't is about to decriminalize it though. You won't be able to buy it in stores, but if you're caught with less than 15 grams (1/2 ounce) you will get fined rather tha have a criminal record and go to jail. It will still be illegal to grow massive quantities or to traffic in it. But at least the cops won't arrest some guy who has a plant growing behind his garage, and some 18 year old kid won't have a criminal record if he's found with a roach in his car ashtray.

+Quote Post
Tressin
post Feb 28 2004, 10:02 AM
Post #13

Brewmaster

Member No.: 1,211

You can extract the product you want thru the resin.. You'll need some glass lab equipment. Burn the plant matter and collect the smoke..cool it and the resin will form. Collect the resin, and use a smaller amount of everclear to disolve that.. too much everclear will certainly add off flavors to ur beer.

+Quote Post
the_stain
post Feb 28 2004, 01:10 PM
Post #14

Brewer

You can extract the product you want thru the resin.. You'll need some glass lab equipment. Burn the plant matter and collect the smoke..cool it and the resin will form. Collect the resin, and use a smaller amount of everclear to disolve that.. too much everclear will certainly add off flavors to ur beer.

Talk about tasting like bongwater!

I would never do this.. Way too much tar will be produced by the burning of the plant matter and it will most certainly make anything you add it to taste horrible.

+Quote Post
Tressin
post Feb 28 2004, 03:54 PM
Post #15

Brewmaster

Member No.: 1,211

I'm thinking that the amount of tar produced, will not affect the beer at all. The resin from one ounce of organic matter wis not going to produce off flavors in 5 gallons of beer, especially if you hop it up. If anything the everclear will give you some flavoring.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th June 2018 - 03:53 PM