Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dogfish Head World Wide Stout Clone, The beast that climbed out of the bucket
judoka
post Jul 5 2004, 09:28 AM
Post #1

Assistant Brewer

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,217

Previously, I fielded a recipe for this, and on Friday I made it. It tastes great in the brew-pot, and smells hop-heavenly in the fermenter. NOTE* It tried to climb OUT of the 6.5 gallon fermenter I used, having 5.5 gallons of fluid inside. LIght brown foam was oozing out of the airlock within 6 hours of pitching my starter. I had to change it to a 15 gallon carboy to save it.

Final recipe:
1/2 lb of rye
1/2 lb roasted Barley
1 lb flaked Barley
1/2 lb Special B
1/2 lb Cara Munich malt
Brew abaove at 155 degrees for 60 minutes
then add:
12 lbs Extra Dark DME
2 lbs Brown Belgian Candi Sugar
4 tblspoons Black Treacle
4 oz Columbus Hops
4 oz Magnum Hops
Boil X 60 minutes, then add
2 oz Amarillo Hops
1 teaspoon Saffron

Boil x 10 minutes, then cool to 80 degrees, put in fermenter(allow for MORE HEADSPACE NEXT TIME!)
pitch in starter of London Ale yeast

Keep in primary for about 10 days, move to secondary......add 5.7g of Champagne yeast...Dry hop daily with 1 oz Amarillo hops in secondary for 16 days . continue in secondary until done. Bottle with 1 cup corn sugar for priming.

Now, I know some will say that is too much hops...but I think not.
The taste is very close to WWS from what I can tell at this time. Good luck!
Cost for entire brew was $89 ( I know...but It will be worth it!)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
judoka
post Jul 7 2004, 11:36 AM
Post #2

Assistant Brewer

Anybody have any ideas about this recipe? So far it smells great, but I know I'm taking a big $ risk in making it.

+Quote Post
judoka
post Jul 13 2004, 07:38 AM
Post #3

Assistant Brewer

Tasted it in the secondary last night...VERY CLOSE to WWS . I expect when alcohol rises soon it will be even better.

+Quote Post
Jimvy
post Jul 18 2004, 02:02 PM
Post #4

Brewmaster
Group Icon

Group: Guest Moderator
Member No.: 569

There is so much going on in this recipe, I have no idea how it will turn out. Things that add something special are:

- rye
- special B
- candi sugar
- treacle
- saffron

I think the special b and candi sugar are probably right on...the rye isn't enough to taste in this brew....the treacle and saffron I've never used, so I really don't have any idea on the results there.

The hops are big, but should be for balancing only....what is the schedule?

The best way to tell how close this is (especially since you already brewed it!) is just to do a side by side. Be sure to report back to us when you do it....I'd love to hear how close it is.

I think London Ale is a good choice, and champagne isn't a bad idea either, though I might change that to distillers yeast.....I don't think champagne will get you high enough.

Jim

+Quote Post
Jim
post Jul 18 2004, 10:46 PM
Post #5

Assistant Brewer

Member No.: 1,201

Jimvy Johnson is right about Judoka Johnson being right. I'm thinking that, regardless of the schedule, that's an over-hopped stout. On the other hand, I've never had that particular Dogfishhead, nor have I ever met a stout or a hop-heavy (pale) ale that I couldn't learn to like. I'm partial to each style, and see no reason not to blend them, even if only in conversation.

Back to the hops...."Too much hops" is, in my book, like "too much (legitimate) sex." Sure, it violates the "everything in moderation" clause, but hey, nobody got hurt, and a good time was had by, and this is important, "both" (of the hopheads).

Too much read meat, too little exercise, too much of this and too little of that. But too much hops? I'm sure it's possible, but I don't subscribe to it.

So anyway, I'm liking the karma of the fermentables in your recipe, and while I don't know just what you're shooting for, I'll posit that, given your yeasting, you're going for a bitter, roasted, kick-in-the-ass, followed immediately by a bittersweet chocolaty cream pie on your moustache and an aroma-hop snoball up your nose.

You talked me into it. What would you recommend as an extract equivalent?

+Quote Post
Jim
post Jul 18 2004, 10:55 PM
Post #6

Assistant Brewer

Member No.: 1,201

Oh yeah, I wouldn't worry nary a bit about it climbing out of the bucket, as long as you're attentive to it during that time (first couple days). As long as the flow is 'out', and nothing is going 'in', that's still a "closed fermenter", for all practical homebrewing purposes. Soon as it calms down, reseal the plastic lid, and insert a newly sanitized airlock. Matter of fact, depending upon equipment, micro breweries experience the same phenomenon with the occasional 'seasonal' or 'special' brew. They don't freak, and they don't stop said beer in its tracks just because the lid blew. Personally, I think they think that it's a good sign, though a nuisance, and I tend to agree with them on both counts.

+Quote Post
judoka
post Jul 19 2004, 07:31 AM
Post #7

Assistant Brewer

I transferred it to a 15 gallon carboy for the first week, then to a 5 gal carboy when it slowed down, then yesterday to a tertiary 5 gal carboy. There was 1 1/2 inch of sludge on the bottom due to yeast + dry hopping particles. In the tertiary transfer, I ADDED more Champagne yeast. The taste is hoppy,but not overly bitter. One tablespoonful will leave you tasting it for ten minutes in your mouth.It's so high in alcohol right now(burns going down, so I'll assume over 12%), my friend suggested it be consumed as BEER SHOTS, rather than glasses.

+Quote Post
judoka
post Jul 26 2004, 08:19 AM
Post #8

Assistant Brewer

What I have done with this is when I added the Champagne yeast halfway through, I did a starter, and to it I did a hop addition(Amarillo 1 oz.X5 min), and then at bottling on Friday, I did a similar hop addition(Same hop and amount and time) to the priming sugar solution. Has anyone done this before?

+Quote Post
Guest_Ted_*
post Jul 26 2004, 04:40 PM
Post #9

Guests

Holy $hit!! Damn, that looks good!!!! I wouldn't worry about over hopping, you have a big roasty beer, the hops won't stand out for very long!! After some aging, the hops will mellow a lot!! Keep us posted on how this turns out!!!

This post has been edited by Ted: Aug 3 2004, 08:35 PM

+Quote Post
judoka
post Aug 2 2004, 12:16 PM
Post #10

Assistant Brewer

1 week after bottling.....I know, I should have waited, but I opened a bottle yesterday. Velvety,alcoholic, hoppy with LOTS of grain taste.
No "burnt" taste as I have seen in some stouts. Very nice flavor. Hops hang around for 5-10 minutes in the mouth after a sip. Not bitter at all.
Can't wait for it to get fizzy!

+Quote Post
judoka
post Aug 4 2004, 07:08 AM
Post #11

Assistant Brewer

....fizzy last night! Houston, we have ignition!!! Taste rating just went up 300% for me!

Must.....give it....more.....time!

+Quote Post
judoka
post Aug 18 2004, 08:58 AM
Post #12

Assistant Brewer

Last night another bottle tried......1" creamy head. Stronger taste due to carbonation. Maybe better than WWS, but not the same. Tastes more like a beer than a liquor.

+Quote Post
phalanxausage
post Aug 25 2004, 01:38 PM
Post #13

Brewmaster

Member No.: 197

QUOTE(Jimvy @ Jul 18 2004, 07:02 PM)
I don't think champagne will get you high enough.

That's why I switched my women to mead. (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
Cam
post Aug 26 2004, 08:57 AM
Post #14

Brewer

Member No.: 547

This is the first time I've read this thread. It's kind of funny, but I can get all DFH beers here with the exeption of the WWS. It's because it says on the bottle, "Brewed with Vim and Vigor" or something like that, so Virginia will not let it be sold here. (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/sad.gif) I'm hoping that they come up with a resolution this year. The recipe looks very interesting and I really wanted to thank you for taking the time to keep it updated.

+Quote Post
codemonkey
post Aug 26 2004, 09:37 AM
Post #15

Brewmaster

Member No.: 1,908

QUOTE(Cam @ Aug 26 2004, 09:57 AM)
....so Virginia will not let it be sold here.  (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/sad.gif)  

:eh?:

I don't know about the rest of VA, but in my area you can get the WWS at any Whole Foods for $9 a 12oz bottle.

Dave

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th July 2018 - 02:11 PM