Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dogfish Head World Wide Stout Clone, The beast that climbed out of the bucket
Stuart
post Aug 16 2006, 11:24 PM
Post #31

Assistant Brewer

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,169

I see no use for the saffron in this clone... The recipe im sure he speaks of on the othe DFH brew is Midas Touch.. They do use saffron in this beer for the color and flavor aspects they found in those old beer mugs or whatever.

Ive had quite a few WWS and dont ever recall any hints of saffron in the beer nor does it impart any color (that stuff is black heh)

Enjoy them folks I was hoping they didnt set a limit here in NC when the law changed so we unfortunatley cant get the 120 IPA either

stu
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bonjour
post Aug 17 2006, 07:24 AM
Post #32

Brewmaster

Member No.: 2,855

QUOTE(judoka @ Nov 21 2004, 11:03 AM) *
Got 24 points out of 50. Had points taken off because I didn;t fill the bottle up as far as I should have. My first competition. Every one of my friends can't beleive this did not win...they said it was the best stout they ever had.

WWS only fits in the specialty catagory, way too strong for all but RIS, not "rich" enough for an RIS so a good clone will not perform well in a stout catagory.

A great beer, but it doesn't fit well in a style catagory.

Fred

+Quote Post
frjeff
post Aug 18 2006, 02:57 PM
Post #33

Assistant Brewer

Member No.: 5,826

I am not sure whether the saffron will do much, I added it anyway because I have a heap of it that I brought with me back from Spain several months ago....cheap there.....

I have my rendition of this in secondary right now and am dryhopping it....will transfer it again very soon....

+Quote Post
frjeff
post Oct 1 2006, 10:45 AM
Post #34

Assistant Brewer

I brewed this a couple of months ago and bottled it just a few days ago. This is a BIG BEER! Nice strong hop presence, that I would imagine will subside a bit with ageing. It has a very high ABV. It was sitting at 15.7% when I bottled it. Tasting it is an experience, the beer clings to the glass, has a bit of an alcohol burn to it and you are tasting it for a while afterwards. I am anxious to see how this one smooths out. I will let you all know how it progresses when it is finally carbonated.

+Quote Post
frjeff
post Jan 21 2007, 03:33 PM
Post #35

Assistant Brewer

Bottled this back in late September, it carbonated within a month. At first tasting it was a bit rough. The aroma was INTENSE! The taste of it was still a little edgey when I tried it back in November. Tried it again in December, still that strong overwhelming aroma, the taste was smoothing out a bit to become malty smooth, and the alcohol presence was almost not noticable in taste, however after sipping on it for a while, yes you have to sip this one, you felt it's strength before too long. It still had noticeable legs when swirling it in the glass.

As of yesterday I tried it again. The aroma is not nearly as strong, it is approaching an almost enjoyable state. It is extremely smooth, malty and you taste it even after swallowing. It still has pronounced legs on it, is perfectly carbonated, and enjoyable. This one keeps getting better....yes, it is a massive beer with a lot of stuff in it, but it is good!

+Quote Post
Geddy
post Jan 23 2007, 06:23 PM
Post #36

Brewer

Member No.: 5,851

Keep the updates coming. I'd like to try this one, and I'm wondering what your sweet spot for aging is. Sounds delish.

+Quote Post
frjeff
post Jan 24 2007, 10:24 AM
Post #37

Assistant Brewer

QUOTE(Geddy @ Jan 23 2007, 05:23 PM) *
Keep the updates coming. I'd like to try this one, and I'm wondering what your sweet spot for aging is. Sounds delish.

I brewed it in late July of '06, bottled it at the end of September of '06, and right now it is the best it has been up to this point. I open about a bottle a month and taste how it is maturing. I will let you know when I reach a point where it either no longer seems to be getting better, or when it begins to take a turn.

+Quote Post
WC87
post Jan 29 2007, 07:44 PM
Post #38

Homebrewer

Member No.: 7,608

OK, thinking of making this beer!!! Might substitute 1/2# flaked oats for the Rye. Not sure what the treacle is...

man, that seems like alot of hops...ProMash coming up with 243 IBUs on boiling hops alone...Oh well, you only live once.

(IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/shock.gif)

+Quote Post
frjeff
post Jan 29 2007, 10:35 PM
Post #39

Assistant Brewer

QUOTE(WC87 @ Jan 29 2007, 06:44 PM) *
Not sure what the treacle is...
man, that seems like alot of hops...ProMash coming up with 243 IBUs on boiling hops alone...Oh well, you only live once.
(IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/shock.gif)

Treacle is from the UK, the closest thing I could find to it was Molasses. You don't need much of it. As for the hops, yep it is a lot of hops! However with that much extract in it, you need something to offset all that malt. The beer as of now, is not bitter at all, but very smooth and malty.

Good luck with it, I have really enjoyed this beer so far and have enjoyed it as it gets better over time. Let us know how it goes for you and if you have questions as you are making it, ask.

+Quote Post
WC87
post Jan 29 2007, 10:52 PM
Post #40

Homebrewer

Member No.: 7,608

QUOTE(frjeff @ Jan 29 2007, 09:35 PM) *
Treacle is from the UK, the closest thing I could find to it was Molasses. You don't need much of it. As for the hops, yep it is a lot of hops! However with that much extract in it, you need something to offset all that malt. The beer as of now, is not bitter at all, but very smooth and malty.

Good luck with it, I have really enjoyed this beer so far and have enjoyed it as it gets better over time. Let us know how it goes for you and if you have questions as you are making it, ask.

I'll let you know if I make it. That Whataburger in Mineral Wells still have all the safari animals?

+Quote Post
frjeff
post Jan 31 2007, 10:15 AM
Post #41

Assistant Brewer

QUOTE(WC87 @ Jan 29 2007, 09:52 PM) *
I'll let you know if I make it. That Whataburger in Mineral Wells still have all the safari animals?

An added note. If you don't have access to saffron, don't sweat it, I have not been able to notice any discernible difference that adding the saffron made. I primarily added it because I had a plethora of it and thought I would see what it did to it. But there is so much going on in this beer, and the saffron gets lost in it all.

Yep, the safari animals are still all over he walls in there....a little bizarre at times to look at while chomping down on a whataburger...

+Quote Post
JonnyP
post May 22 2010, 08:52 AM
Post #42

Assistant Brewer

Member No.: 5,660

So... it has been a few years now, did any bottles make it this long? If so, how did things age?

+Quote Post
RavenXp
post Feb 13 2012, 09:42 AM
Post #43

Group: New Member
Member No.: 17,465

This is one of the only WWS clone's I can find around (Most I've googled lately have been the same as OP Recipe.), anybody attempted it lately? Will be trying it myself soon, getting the ingredients Friday. (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/beerchug.gif)

+Quote Post
RavenXp
post Feb 23 2012, 02:45 AM
Post #44

FYI for those thinking of doing this recipe, ended up spending $150 on ingredients at my local homebrew store. (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/banghead.gif)

+Quote Post
RavenXp
post Feb 25 2012, 09:18 PM
Post #45

Just got done brewing this today. OG 1.120

Tweaking the recipe a bit since I couldn't get all the exact stuff. Used Cascade instead of Amarillo, and cut the treacle since I can't locate any locally. I'm also following the advice of my local brew shop owner, I used Amarican Ale yeast in a huge starter (Decanted and added more DME over the course of a week). As it's fermenting I'll agitate it every now and then to release the CO2 in suspension during the primary. I'm gonna try and do without the champagne yeast this go, see how it works out. Will keep whoever sees this posted.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th August 2018 - 06:36 AM