IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> No Flavor?, Flavor masked in finished wine
Guest_Catfish_*
post Sep 23 2004, 07:10 AM
Post #1

Guests

I have had lots of success over the past couple of years, but lately it seems that the flavor of my wines is overpowered by something. I recently made a mixed berry wine (blueberry, blackberry, raspberry) – carefully sanitized the fermenter and carboy, followed directions closely, and checked s.g. with a hydrometer. Now that the wine is starting to clear, it has a wonderful aroma (similar to the previous batch that was delicious), but the color seems to be a bit thin and it has almost no flavor. It does have a sharp bite and a hefty kick of alcohol.
Does anyone have any ideas what may have caused this? Is this vinegar (it doesn’t smell like it)? And does anyone have any ideas on how to correct it or prevent it?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
HighTest
post Sep 23 2004, 10:26 AM
Post #2

Brewmaster

Group: Members
Member No.: 589

It sounds as if you're making a fruit wine? The hefty alcohol kick you describe could be your answer as to why there isn't much berry flavor (as I understand the problem). To maximize the fruitiness of a fruit (country) wine, it should have no more than 11% alcohol, and they should be fermented at cooler temps ~ 65°F.

What was your OG? How many Lbs of berries did you use? What is the batch size? Ambient fermentation temp?

+Quote Post
Guest_Catfish_*
post Sep 23 2004, 06:43 PM
Post #3

Guests

Sorry for the shoddy post and omitted info. I hope the update here can help with the diagnosis.

This was a 1 gallon batch of wine made with 4 lbs of berries (2 lbs blueberries, 1lb blackberries, 1 lb raspberries). I added about 2.25 lbs honey. Starting S.G. was around 1.095. The current temperature where the wine is fermented is 74 deg. F. That temperature should not fluctuate much.

Your initial answer of too much alcohol was what I suspected. Is there any way that I can save this batch? Or, at least some steps to prevent it in the future? At this time, I do not have a way to lower the temperature at which the wine is fermented (no cellars here in Louisiana ... they get swampy), but I’m assuming that I should lower the S.G. to around 1.080 to achieve an 11% alcohol.

+Quote Post
HighTest
post Sep 23 2004, 09:30 PM
Post #4

Brewmaster

Group: Members
Member No.: 589

QUOTE(Catfish @ Sep 23 2004, 07:43 PM)
... Starting S.G. was around 1.095. The current temperature where the wine is fermented is 74 deg. F.

There are two factors that will contribute to your problem - too high a OG, and fermentation temp. Fruit wines are best in the 9-11% abv range (OG 1.068-1.083).

As this was only a 1 gal batch I would resist the urge to try and tweak it. Consider it a lesson learned... (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/wink.gif)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th January 2020 - 06:24 PM