IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Just bought some diamond grape juice..., ....and it's on it way to becoming wine.
BISCUITSandGRAVY
post Sep 23 2004, 06:01 PM
Post #1

Brewmaster

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,727

I just thought I would share this with all of you winemakers out there.

Around 5 o'clock this afternoon, my wife and I bought 30 gallons of Diamond grape juice from a local juicer and winery. This juice was placed into two 15 gallon plastic carboys. It was nice talking with the master winemaker as he filled the carboys. As he was filling one of my containers, another customer bought 5 gallons of Rougeone grape juice. After his glass carboy was filled, he placed a stopper on it and hoisted the glass carboy up with one of those after market handles. To tell you the truth, that was the first time I had seen one of those handles in action and I damn near thought the neck of the glass carboy was going to break off. I looked at the winemaker and he shrugged his shoulders and said, " We have plenty of people who use those handles." Oh well..

When we got the juice home, I read a 1.062 SG/ 15 brix on the hydrometer. Three pks. of Cote de Blanc yeast were hydrated for each carboy and then set aside. From each of the carboys, I removed 1G of juice and placed it into 2 separate kettles on the stove. As the juice was warming up, I added 14 tsp. of yeast nutrient into each kettle. Next, we added 16 cups of cane sugar or 8lbs to the warm juice. The tempreature was brought up to 165' for 10 minutes.The hydrated yeast and the fortified sugar juice was added to each carboy. I placed a cap on and gently rocked each carboy for 10 minutes. The fortified juice read 1.082 /20 brix on the hydrometer so I then placed an airlock on each carboy.

I checked my notes from last year's batch and the SG was almost the same as for this year's SG. This is our second attempt at making Diamond wine. The first batch of 15 G was excellent and the remaining 5 G from it are in a cornelius keg getting force carbonated.

(IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/winechug.gif)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th December 2019 - 01:53 AM