Forum Rules PLEASE READ Before Submitting Recipes for Review
11 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> cj's Rising Sun JPA, aka Broken House IPA/Hop Hourglass IPA
Guest_Ted_*
post Mar 13 2003, 10:21 PM
Post #1

Guests

CJ, I don't know if you noticed, but Freshops has Amarillo whole hops now.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_Ted_*
post Apr 9 2003, 04:13 PM
Post #2

Guests

Yeah, if you put hops in every min for 1 hr it will be madness and you might like the resulting beer to much, so don't do it. Leave that to us, we're already mad (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/crazy.gif)  :yinyang:  B)

+Quote Post
cj in j
post Jun 12 2002, 08:10 AM
Post #3

on hiatus...

Group: Members
Member No.: 69

In another post, someone asked me to post my IPA recipe. Here's one version (all-grain with notes for extract). I'm not sure if it's the best, but it's darn good. My next version is going to use Simcoe for bittering (if you haven't used Simcoe, it's worth tracking some down; very smooth bitterness with a hint of minty/piney flavor). If you try this IPA, let me know how it turns out (and if you made any adjustments).

- 4.75 pounds pale malt (Maris Otter)
- 5.0 pounds Belgian pale malt
[Note: Extract brewers could probably get away with substituting about 7.5 pounds of a good British extract]
- 0.9 pounds carapils
- 0.5 pounds Belgian caravienna
- 0.5 pounds crystal 60

- 0.5 oz Cascade (5.5%) (60 minutes)
- 1.1 oz N. Brewer (8.4%) (60 minutes)
- 1.7 oz Centennial (8.8%) (20 minutes)
- 2.2 oz Centennial (8.8%) (end of boil)

- WLP011 European Ale or WLP001 California Ale or even WLP051 California Ale V (or Wyeast equivalents)

- 150 DME for priming

OG = 1.062
FG = 1.016
IBU = 60-65

Mash grains with gypsum at 60°C for 20 min (thick mash). Raise temp to 70°C by adding 4.5 l boiling water and heat and hold for 50 min. Raise temp to 78°C by adding 4.5 l boiling water and heat and transfer to lauter tun. Sparge with 80°–85°C water to collect 32 l of wort.

Total boil time is 80 min. Boil for 20 min, then add Cascade and Northern Brewer bittering hops and boil 40 min. Add Centennial flavor hops and boil for 5 min. Add whirlfloc and yeast nutrient and boil for 15 min. At end of boil, add Centennial aroma hops, whirlpool and cool t- 20°C. Whirlpool and cool t- 20°C t- pitch starter.

Oxygenate/aerate well. Ferment at 20°C for 4–5 days. If gravity is near target, dump yeast and condition for 1–2 days before crash cooling. Keep cool for 4–5 days, then let warm back up to room temperature. Dump yeast, prime, and bottle. Condition at room temperature for 1–2 weeks, then in refrigerator for 2–3 weeks.

+Quote Post
cj in j
post Mar 17 2003, 06:19 PM
Post #4

on hiatus...

My latest version is in the "test-tasting" stage right now, and looks to be another winner. I bumped up the finishing hops a little and added more aromatic (5%). Great flavor, bitterness is still a little harsh (only in the bottle for about 2 weeks), good carbonation. I can't wait to start drinking this regularly!

My next version will be a homebrewer's attempt at 60-minute IPA -- I'll be adding hops every minute for the final 60 min of the boil! I'll start out with the Simcoe for bittering, and then add a blend of Amarillo, Cascade, and Centennial every minute from 59 thru 1 -- then add my usual finishing hops. I'll be a very intense brewing day, but I'm actually looking forward to it. I'll probably do that right after I brew up the 21st Century Schizoid Ale, the second or third week of April.

Ted -- Thanks for the heads up on FreshHops and Amarillo!

+Quote Post
borny
post Apr 10 2003, 02:56 AM
Post #5

Brewmaster

Member No.: 253

Ted, it's not that I don't think I wouldn't like or love the beer, but so little and so many additions, it just doesn't seem neccesary.  I don't know though; I'm not a brew ninja like some!  However, this weekend I'm trying another attempt at formulating my own IPA.  I do plan on using 5 hop additions.  Just contemplating on using only e.k. goldings or mixing e.k. golding with cascade hops.  Just a thought....

+Quote Post
Guest_Ted_*
post Feb 23 2003, 08:56 PM
Post #6

Guests

Chris, where do you get Simco hops?  why do you use Belgian Pils? If you bump up the  aromatic, why would you reduce the base malt? I'm just curious about this stuff!!! It looks like a nice recipe, I'm wondering what your thought process is/was!!

+Quote Post
cj in j
post Mar 28 2003, 09:02 PM
Post #7

on hiatus...

I estimated on my spreadsheet by combining 10 additions and then using the utilization for the mid-point. For example, for the additions between 60 and 51 minutes, I input one addition at 55 min. That gave me around 62. I did the same thing in BeerTools, and that spit out 69. Then I went to BeerTools again and ran each separate hop addition (I had to do it over and over since BeerTools only allows five hop additions), and the total was 66. So, I think mid-60s is a fairly accurate estimation.

I might have to bump this one up in my brew schedule -- I really want to see how it works out.

+Quote Post
cj in j
post Apr 6 2003, 06:34 AM
Post #8

on hiatus...

Irish, I'm glad you're happy! I just got back from my daughter's punk rock concert -- great time! -- and would love to partake of an IPA but I'm too messed up from the brewpub to indulge.  B)  :O  :p  :hehe:  :)

+Quote Post
Guest_Ted_*
post Apr 6 2003, 10:03 AM
Post #9

Guests

CJ, Irish has been supping that brew for a couple of days, and he's had a stroner response the more(loaded) he consumes. You should have seen the way he was spelling on the chat the other night, it was funny!! I believe at one point someone commented that his spelling would have had you going crazy, being a Prof. and all!! Anyway, I'll be brewing this soon, especially with all of the good comments from Irish.

+Quote Post
cj in j
post Apr 10 2003, 03:00 AM
Post #10

on hiatus...

borny -- You're absolutely right, it's not necessary at all! But, doing things like that keeps me off the streets, and that's a good thing, believe me.  B)

Five hop additions in an IPA is just about perfect, in my humble IPA opinion. That's my normal technique, and it works well for me nearly every time. Enjoy!

+Quote Post
cj in j
post Nov 16 2002, 05:52 PM
Post #11

on hiatus...

Here's the latest version of Rising Sun IPA (aka Broken House IPA) — I just had one and it's killer! Nice and bitter, pretty good hop aroma, enough malt background to balance — mmmm. The only thing I think I'd do different (based on my initial impression) is to bump up the aromatic malt to 10 oz, which would reduce the two base malts by 2-3 oz each. I might also bump up the last two hop additions to 0.5 oz of each of the hops to give it a bit more aroma. Note: This is for a 5.5 gallon batch at 75% mashing efficiency.

- 5.625 lbs (=5 lbs 10 oz) English pale malt (Maris Otter)
- 5.625 lbs Belgian pale malt
- 5 oz wheat malt
- 10 oz Belgian caravienna
- 5 oz Belgian aromatic malt
[Note: Extract brewers could probably get away with substituting about 8 lbs of a good British extract and doing a partial mash with 1.5 lbs of pale malt and the specialty grains]

- 0.75 oz Simco (13.0%) (60 minutes)
- 0.35 oz each of Amarillo (8.6%), Cascade (6.3%) & Centennial (9.4%) (40 minutes)
- 0.35 oz each of Amarillo (8.6%), Cascade (6.3%) & Centennial (9.4%) (15 minutes)
- 0.35 oz each of Amarillo (8.6%), Cascade (6.3%) & Centennial (9.4%) (5 minutes)
- 0.35 oz each of Amarillo (8.6%), Cascade (6.3%) & Centennial (9.4%) (end of boil)
[Note: Northern Brewer is an adequate substitute for Simcoe. Another possibility is Chinook.]
[Note: If you can't find Amarillo, increase the Cascade and Centennial to 0.55 oz each.]

-0.5 oz Burton salts in mash
- 1 ml phosphoric acid in sparge water
- 1/2-1 tsp yeast nutrient (15 min)
- 1 whirlfloc tablet (or 1 tsp Irish moss) (15 min)
- Wyeast 1056 (American Ale) or Wyeast 1335 (British Ale II)

- 5 oz DME for priming (or 4 oz corn sugar)

OG = 1.062
FG = 1.016
IBU = 60-65

14 quarts water for mash
4 quarts water for infusions (to maintain temps or to raise mash temp for mash out)
28-30 quarts for foundation water and sparging

Mash at 150F for 45-60 min

Ferment at 68F for 4-6 days. Secondary at 68F for two days. Cold condition at 40F or lower for 5-7 days. Bottle and drink after one month.

+Quote Post
cj in j
post Feb 24 2003, 07:00 AM
Post #12

on hiatus...

Dear Curious Ted  B) ,

I got my Simcoe hops directly from Yakima Chief, as a surprise hop gift to the brewpub owner/brewer here in my town. He had never heard of Simcoe (or Amarillo), so I arranged for the company to send him a some samples -- of course my fee was a pound or so of the samples. (The brewer loved both hops and now uses them in several of his beers.) From what I've been reading, Magnum is a good substitute for Simcoe (which is very hard to find), although Perle or Northern Brewer will work very well too.

Actually I use Belgian Pale Ale malt, not the Pils. The reason was because it was recommended in a BYO article several years ago. But, since I can get Crisp Maris Otter now regularly, I actually cut out the Belgian pale malt in my latest batch and used all Maris Otter for the base malt.

I bumped up the Belgian Aromatic also for this latest batch -- I probably also dropped the base malt by a similar amount, but when I posted, I obviously didn't notice that. I'll have to go back and check the recipe more carefully to see exactly what I did.

As for my thought processes, I'm not sure there are any left -- it's been a long day!  B)

+Quote Post
cj in j
post Mar 17 2003, 07:39 PM
Post #13

on hiatus...

Irish, it's hard to figure out the bitterness with any degree of accuracy since I'm blending three different hops and adding a very small amount every minute (I can't remember exactly without my notes, but I think it's 2 grams). But, the best estimate I can come up with is that the IBUs will be the same as my regular IPA, which is low 60s. So, it's not all that outrageous! Maybe . . . (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/blush.gif)

+Quote Post
Guest_Ted_*
post Mar 29 2003, 11:56 PM
Post #14

Guests

I'll see if I can input every hop addition into Promash, and I'll let you know what that comes up with.

+Quote Post
cj in j
post Apr 9 2003, 03:16 PM
Post #15

on hiatus...

borny -- Irish is right, DO NOT try the 60-addition hop schedule, whatever you do. It's really is pure madness!  :hehe:

However, look back at the first page of this thread and you'll see some more normal versions of the IPA recipe -- give one of those a try and you won't be working too hard -- you won't be sorry either.  B)

+Quote Post

11 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd January 2020 - 07:37 AM