Forum Rules PLEASE READ Before Submitting Recipes for Review
11 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> cj's Rising Sun JPA, aka Broken House IPA/Hop Hourglass IPA
Guest_BarleyPop_*
post May 20 2003, 10:26 PM
Post #31

Guests

Thanks CJ, Can't wait to get back next week and give it a try.
Barleypop
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
cj in j
post May 21 2003, 02:22 AM
Post #32

on hiatus...

Group: Members
Member No.: 69

I could put a kit together for you, but the shipping would kill you! Ha ha ha. I have no problem with HBA or anyone else putting a kit together based on this recipe -- it would actually be pretty cool. I'm not sure if Ale reads the forums that much right now, so if someone wants to contact him and ask, feel free.

Two things that I forgot to mention in the recipe above, the mash efficiency was 82% and it's for a 5.5-gallon batch into the fermenter, which yields five gallons after fermentation. (I edited the original too, but just thought I'd mention it here.)

+Quote Post
ATHOBO
post May 21 2003, 08:01 AM
Post #33

Brewer

Member No.: 252

I just emailed HBA & Ale to request a kit.

+Quote Post
ale
post May 23 2003, 10:00 AM
Post #34

board admin

Member No.: 619

Holy F****** C*****!!!!!

Irish, Are you out of your freaking mind? Over a pound of (mostly high alpha) hops in a 10 gallon batch?!?! I love my hops as much as anyone but you're out of control!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/crazy.gif) Have you ever thought of heating up Magnum hop pellets in a spoon and injecting them intravenously? 300 years ago you would have been burned at the stake for something like this. (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/crazy.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/crazy.gif)

Seriously, C.J. , I'm wide open to the idea of putting a version of your IPA into our catalog, but I'll need some direct correspondence with you regarding reasonable grain/extract bills and a hopping schedule somewhere < 800 IBU's (sheesh Irish, I'm glad that you're on our side). Also a cool name. I'm thinking "C.J.'s Land of the Rising Sun IJA" (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/cool.gif)

I think that you have my home email address. Use that one.

This post has been edited by ale: May 23 2003, 10:05 AM

+Quote Post
cj in j
post May 23 2003, 04:35 PM
Post #35

on hiatus...

Yeah, Irish is out of control -- but we all knew that. Anyone who says the latest version (not the 61-addition monster, the one before that) IPA is good but doesn't have enough hop bitterness has damaged taste buds! Except in the case of Irish -- he has a damaged brain. But, we all knew that. (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/cool.gif)

Ale, I'll be in touch as soon as I get to school today (yeah, working on a Saturday).

+Quote Post
Billhev
post May 24 2003, 09:54 PM
Post #36

Homebrewer

Member No.: 68

With all this talk about the crazy (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/ninja.gif) 's IPA I'm planning one for when I get an open keg. I may wait for HBA to get the kit together, but then again I may just get a wheelbarrow and go get the hops at my local shop!

+Quote Post
Rovers
post May 24 2003, 09:58 PM
Post #37

Assistant Brewer

Group: banned
Member No.: 327

Mad? Me? it was cj who did 61 hop additions! And my version was only like 98 IBU! Both Bierman and the nonja have done 120's! BTW, I am happy to say, that one of the BBoards foremost experts, BryanH, brought this brew to his LHBS and tried it up against a SN IPA. Both the owner and Bryan thought mine was SIGNIFICANTLY better! (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/cheers.gif) I can live with that, boys! (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/biggrin.gif) I should also mention that my 10 G batches are usually 11 G batches, so the numbers I post get fudged a little. Funny about that batch tho, I also brought it to my LHBC, and 2 different "accomplished" judges said "I can see this is a west coast IPA, with all the grapefuit citrussy tones", and the other said "It doesnt have all the citrussy hop flavors one would expect from a west coast IPA". Go figure. Just furthered my opinion of HB competitions. It was one hell of a brew tho. I'll do something German next, to put a hit on this bag of Munich I have, then, anther "Broken Home Imperial" will be on its way! (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/beerchug.gif) >>>Irish

+Quote Post
cj in j
post May 24 2003, 10:40 PM
Post #38

on hiatus...

Irish, the most "calculated" IBUs that have ever been in one of my beers was 80 -- never went up to 100 or 120. Sorry to disappoint you. (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/wink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/ninja.gif)

+Quote Post
Rovers
post May 25 2003, 06:11 PM
Post #39

Assistant Brewer

I thought you said you did that once....oh well! I also think my calculations are alot higher than actuals, because I bag my hops. I do know for a fact that Bier did do a 120 IBU, and someone else, who I have obviously forgotten. >>>Irish

+Quote Post
cj in j
post Jun 27 2003, 11:58 PM
Post #40

on hiatus...

Last week I brewed up an English version of Rising Sun/Broken House/House of the Rising Sun IPA/JPA (man, this beer has so many different names, even I'm confused), and kegged it today (cask conditioning). I changed the recipe quite a bit. Grains included Maris Otter, German Munich, wheat, carafoam, carared, caramunich, aromatic, and flaked barley. Hops were Northern Brewer for bittering (60 min) and then 7 grams (1/4 oz) each of Willamette, First Gold, and East Kent Golding for 55, 45, 35, 25, 15, and 5 min, with 8 g of each of the three at the end of the boil. I used Wyeast 1026 British Cask Ale as usual. At transfer, it was fantastic! I'm not sure I like this grain bill as much as the JPA version, but the hops were wonderful throughout. Maybe not as complex as when adding hops every minute of the whole boil, but close. This is a way to experience the joys of the 61-addition Hop Hourglass IPA, without the pain of standing over the brewpot adding hops every minute! If anyone wants the exact recipe, let me know and I'll post it. (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/ninja.gif)

+Quote Post
Rovers
post Jun 28 2003, 08:02 PM
Post #41

Assistant Brewer

cj, This last batch, stuck sparge and all, smelled GREAT at racking! I cant wait! I think it will be (I hope) my best batch of JPA (?) yet! thanks again for the recipe! >>>Irish

+Quote Post
Rovers
post Jul 15 2003, 03:26 PM
Post #42

Assistant Brewer

At first I thought my short (12 day) fermenting cycle had screwed this batch up. It did not, 2 days after carbonating, the harshness went away. Could have been the carbonic acid thing again. Not as bad as when I did the shake rattle and roll method of force carbonating though. And, again, it completely went away. Anyone else experience this forced carbonation problem? Like I said, it disappeares completely, but needs a day or 2. I (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/inlove.gif) this IPA! (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/tongue.gif) Thanks again, Ninja Man! (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/biggrin.gif) >>>Irish

+Quote Post
Pillowman
post Jul 15 2003, 04:58 PM
Post #43

Brewer

Member No.: 200

I did find a problem with this beer, a higher than normal evaporation rate. Even though it is in a refrigrated, air-tight keg, I find the keg lighter and lighter each day. This problem is compounded further when I pour it in a glass. Where most beers will remain in my pint glass 15-20 minutes, this beer usually disappears in less than 10-minutes. Don't know if it's all those hops, the summer heat, or what, but this beer is disappearing way too quickly.

+Quote Post
Rovers
post Jul 15 2003, 05:28 PM
Post #44

Assistant Brewer

Pillow, I have also noticed this flaw. It is, to say the least, problematic. I dont think I should brew it anymore. Any ideas on how to fix this? (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/tongue.gif) >>>Irish

+Quote Post
cj in j
post Jul 15 2003, 05:53 PM
Post #45

on hiatus...

Guys, I would like to help analyze and solve your problem with the abnormal evaporation rate on this beer. However, I don't have any available for testing as my last batch has somehow disappeared under similar circumstances. Up to now, I had thought that my wife and her Save the Liver Association was somehow responsible, but now I see that it is a much more wide-spread problem -- and I doubt if my wife's fledgling organization has the clout to influence your beer-drinking communities. I will immediately launch an emperical investigation into the evaporation problem and get back to you as soon as the results are in. (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/cool.gif)

And, by the way, just a reminder for those of you who might not know, this recipe is available as a kit from HBA: House of the Rising Sun Extract or House of the Rising Sun All-Grain (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/ninja.gif)

+Quote Post

11 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th July 2020 - 10:08 AM