Reply to this topicStart new topic
> cj's Rising Sun JPA, aka Broken House IPA/Hop Hourglass IPA
cj in j
post Sep 12 2003, 11:04 PM
Post #46

on hiatus...

Group: Members
Member No.: 69

By request, the latest (and maybe greatest) Hop Hourglass JPA recipe. I transferred it today and although it was still very cloudy (I swirled last night so it didn't have enough time to settle), it has a nice bitterness and good hoppiness all the way through, with a nice reddish color. This recipe is converted directly from my metric weights, so you can round up or down as you like.

Hop Hourglass JPA
5.5 gallons in fermenter
OG = 1.062 (@ 80% efficiency)
FG = 1.016
IBU = 62
SRM = 14

8.96 lb Crisp Maris Otter malt (75%)
0.57 lb Weyermann light Munich malt (5%)
0.49 lb Weyermann dark Munich malt (4%)
0.30 lb American wheat malt (2.5%)
0.32 Weyermann CaraFoam malt (2.5%)
0.31 Dingemans caramel pils malt (2.5%)
0.31 Weyermann CaraRed malt (2.5%)
0.61 Dingemans aromatic malt (5%)
0.13 flaked barley (1%)

Added 0.5 oz Burton salts to mash. Mashed grains into cool water and slowly heated to 40C (about 104F) and held for 20 min. Raised mash temp to 150-152F and held for 60 min. Raised mash temp to 170F for mash out and transferred to lauter tun. Added 0.5 ml phosphoric acid (75%) to sparge water. Lautered and sparged for 90 min.

0.75 oz Simcoe (11.4% alpha) for 60 min
Mixed up a Hop Blend consisting of 55 g each (around 2 oz) of Amarillo (7.8% alpha), Cascade (4.0% alpha) and Centennial (5.9% alpha) -- hop blend had a total alpha of around 5.9%. Added Hop Blend according to following schedule:
0.5 oz for 55 min
0.5 oz for 45 min
0.5 oz for 35 min
0.75 oz for 25 min
0.75 oz for 15 min
1 oz for 5 min
2 oz after boil

Added 1/2 tsp Wyeast nutrient and 1 whirlfloc tablet for 15 min.

Aerated with aquarium pump and air stone for 30 min. Pitched with second generation Wyeast 1026 British Cask Ale -- pitched approximately 400 ml thick yeast slurry (which was probably too much). Kept in primary at 68-74F for 6 days, transferred to corny and primed with 2.5 oz candi sugar.

Notes: Briess Carapils is a suitable substitute for Weyermann CaraFoam. If you don't have dark Munich, just increase the amount of light Munich and Aromatic by equal amounts to compensate. Caramel pils can be replaced by a very light crystal malt (10L). CaraRed can be replaced by CaraVienna or a light crystal (20-30L). Altermatively, just use CaraVienna in place of the Caramel pils and CaraRed (just add the two weights together). Simcoe can be replaced by Perle or Northern Brewer or Chinook. Amarillo, Cascade, and Centennial are irreplaceable!

This post has been edited by cj in j: Sep 12 2003, 11:05 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ATHOBO
post Sep 13 2003, 08:13 AM
Post #47

Brewer

Member No.: 252

Just bottled Chris's JPA after 4 wks in the secondary. Tasted like a nice smooth brew with a citrus bitter that I bet is gonna condition well. I bet it is gonna be a brew that I'm gonna hide to enjoy while I work. Yum-Yum!! (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/beerchug.gif)

+Quote Post
Pillowman
post Sep 13 2003, 08:24 AM
Post #48

Brewer

Member No.: 200

I have all the ingrdients ready, and I'm firing up the brewpot tomorrow. I'm following the original recipe, but this time I'm dry hopping with .5 oz Casacades. The beer does mellow nicely, but I like that fresh green taste with the hop bite.

+Quote Post
cj in j
post Sep 13 2003, 08:33 AM
Post #49

on hiatus...

I'm not a big fan of dry hopping -- I've tried in only a few times and I wasn't happy more often than I was. But, I just ordered one of More Beer's hopbacks, and I'll give that a whirl as soon as it gets here. I've ready that Sierra Nevada doesn't dry hop their pale ale any more, but they do add a huge hop addition after the boil. If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me! (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/cool.gif)

AT -- I'm with you on the work beer -- I try to make sure I always have a couple of IPA/JPAs chilled in my office for those days when class just doesn't go as well as I hope! (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/wow.gif)

+Quote Post
Guest_Ted_*
post Sep 13 2003, 04:45 PM
Post #50

Guests

I've ready that Sierra Nevada doesn't dry hop their pale ale any more, but they do add a huge hop addition after the boil.

I've read that too!! I'm pretty sure it's a large amount of hops for a brief time.

+Quote Post
Osh
post Sep 15 2003, 09:39 AM
Post #51

Homebrewer

Group: New Member
Member No.: 464

Pillowman - I dry hopped mine with an ounce of Cascade and seem to have the same evaporation problem reported by both you and Irish. I'll be doing another batch soon, gotta pick up the ingredients this coming weekend.

+Quote Post
phalanxausage
post Sep 17 2003, 02:41 PM
Post #52

Brewmaster

Member No.: 197

that's it, I'm just gonna have to try this sucker. I've been following this thread since its inception & have developed a real fondness for Dogfish Head's 60 minute IPA. I had a glass every night after work until we got the Fuller's back (fresh keg of London Pride! hell f*cking yeah!). I'm trying to kill the keg of my first all grain batch. have a porter in primary, 10 gallon mild will be next so this might have to be all grain #4. time to place an order with freshhops.

+Quote Post
Pillowman
post Sep 17 2003, 04:27 PM
Post #53

Brewer

That's what I was afraid of, dry hopping this beer will accelerate the already rapid evaporation problem. This problem obviously needs more research on my part. I shall brew on in the name of science (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/hehe.gif)

+Quote Post
cj in j
post Sep 17 2003, 05:21 PM
Post #54

on hiatus...

Pillowman -- I admire your dedication and look forward to your unbiased and scientific reports in the near future. And, thanks to Irish for again pointing out this potentially serious problem with the JPA -- excess evaporation. I don't think I'll brew again until there is a definitive answer on this issue. (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
Osh
post Sep 18 2003, 08:18 AM
Post #55

Homebrewer

Group: New Member
Member No.: 464

I was hoping that down here in the south (where it gets quite humid) the rapid evaporation would not be as much of an issue, but that's not the case. It appears that it is as much an issue as it appears to be everywhere else. Needless to say, I am picking up some more ingredients this weekend for another batch for additional testing.

+Quote Post
Guest_BarleyPop_*
post Sep 19 2003, 12:34 AM
Post #56

Guests

I have brewed this beloved brew 3 times now. Twice the crazy 60 hop addition way and once with 3 huge additions and it's the best beer I have brewed either way. Besides stopping up my bazooka T screen, I love brewing this beer. Thanks CJ for sharing it with us.

+Quote Post
cj in j
post Sep 19 2003, 12:57 AM
Post #57

on hiatus...

Pop -- You're welcome.

And I just found out that I don't have to work tomorrow -- looks like another IPA on the way!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Dave Chase
post Sep 19 2003, 03:56 AM
Post #58

Brewer

Member No.: 223

So just how hoppy is cj's IPA? I don't mind a hoppy beer (flavor and aroma) but I'm not very fond of "bitter" beers. Is cj's IPA very bitter?

+Quote Post
cj in j
post Sep 19 2003, 04:21 AM
Post #59

on hiatus...

In my totally unbiased opinion (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/wink.gif) , it is not overwhelmingly bitter. When I make it, I shoot for an OG of 1.062 and bitterness of 62 IBUs. But, a large percentage of those IBUs are added in the middle and late parts of the boil, so they contribute more flavor and aroma, and the bitterness comes through much more smoothly.

If you want, I'll work up a "JPA Light" version that goes lighter on the bittering hops while keeping the good flavor and aroma -- and the good flavor from the malt.

One question -- do you like Anchor Liberty ale? Or is that too much bitterness for you? That will give me a frame of reference for doing any adjustments.

Also, all grain or extract?

Glad you asked -- I have been thinking of making a more pale ale version of this beer, and this will spur me on to do so. Heck, maybe I'll even brew that one tomorrow instead of another JPA, then do the JPA next week!

+Quote Post
Pillowman
post Sep 19 2003, 04:47 PM
Post #60

Brewer

It also mellows with age. I started drinking this beer three weeks after brewing, and since I am the only IPA drinker in the house, it is still around several weeks later (not much but still there (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/wink.gif) ). The hop bite has mellowed, and the malt flavor is much more pronounced. It never was a bitter beer, but it definitely has a strong hop character, my wife would not touch it when I first tapped it, but now I find her sneaking small glasses of it now and then. Try it, you'll like it.

+Quote Post

11 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th July 2020 - 09:56 AM