Total Votes: 71
Guests cannot vote 
cj in j
post Jan 4 2005, 02:53 AM
Post #1

on hiatus...

Group: Members
Member No.: 69

The Belligerent SOB (all-grain) kit is fantastic! I picked one up last year when I was in the States and everyone who tried it was extremely happy -- even more so after downing a few. (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/wink.gif) I've only had a real Arrogant Bastard a couple times, so I can't compare it directly with the beer from this kit, but from what I've heard from others, it's real close. Either way, though, it's a great kit if you like strong beers with full in-your-face flavor. (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/cool.gif)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
deejaydan
post Jan 4 2005, 03:18 PM
Post #2

Brewer

Member No.: 904

It is really good. We did have a double blind tasting at one of my Homebrew meetings. They thought it was really close, but HBA's (brewed by me), was better than the original.

+Quote Post
doobahstop
post Jan 4 2005, 11:52 PM
Post #3

Brewmaster

Member No.: 2,149

I brought a ton of this stuff up to the last Phish show up in Vermont this summer and gave out a ton of it (good karma, bad rationing:) Everyone thought it was excellent and I actually got offered a job at a new location of a brewpub as a brewer because of this beer by the owner/master brewer. And it was only the extract version! Ill be ordering the AG version soon. How about a Double Bastard kit Ale? Hey man, gotta keep you on your toes! Keep up the great work.

+Quote Post
RedVR6
post Jan 11 2005, 11:52 PM
Post #4

Assistant Brewer

Member No.: 1,783

This was my first HBA kit. Was a hit with everyone. My brother had one in the firdge for about 10 months and said it was better aged than when we first opened the first few bottles last spring.

+Quote Post
RedVR6
post Mar 10 2005, 02:50 PM
Post #5

Assistant Brewer

Member No.: 1,783

Firing this up tomorrow right after work tomorrow! (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/beerchug.gif)

+Quote Post
mikebrad
post Mar 11 2005, 08:57 AM
Post #6

Assistant Brewer

Member No.: 222

QUOTE(RedVR6 @ Jan 11 2005, 11:53 PM)
This was my first HBA kit. Was a hit with everyone. My brother had one in the firdge for about 10 months and said it was better aged than when we first opened the first few bottles last spring.

I've brewed it a few times and I will generally drink about half when it is done and age the other half 6+ months. After the hop bitterness dies down a little, you can really taste the different flavors. Great recipe.

+Quote Post
Habanero
post Feb 16 2006, 03:55 PM
Post #7

Group: New Member
Member No.: 1,676

I agree with DeeJayDan. I've done side-by-side tastings, and SOB (extract version) is dead-on accurate despite the ingredients being almost completely different from Stone's web site. Taste is what counts and this recipe has it!

+Quote Post
cj in j
post Feb 16 2006, 05:00 PM
Post #8

on hiatus...

This is one recipe I keep going back to. I've made it a few times now, and it's a huge hit with the Beer Geeks among us.

+Quote Post
Mindflux
post Feb 16 2006, 05:01 PM
Post #9

Brewmaster

Member No.: 3,236

CJ how would you rank it against Arrogant Bastard (What it's designed after?)

+Quote Post
cj in j
post Feb 16 2006, 05:09 PM
Post #10

on hiatus...

I only did a semi-side-by-side tasting -- the real thing one night at a brewpub and mine the next night. Mine seemed a little sweeter and with more body, as I remember. Bitterness and hop flavor/aroma was very similar. Mine was a fairly new bottle, though, and the AB was a several months old, so that might have played a roll. I'd say similar but not the same, if I had to be nailed down.

+Quote Post
Sirhc
post Jul 13 2006, 03:43 PM
Post #11

Homebrewer

Member No.: 1,468

This beer is pretty damn good! The SOB I made tasted almost the same as the original AB but the smell was a little different. Stone's AB smelled better but the SOB tasted better for sure. Don't get me wrong, I love Arragant Bastard (always have, always will) but the SOB is a great beer and I highly recommend.

Brewed this on 01/15/2006 and it was all gone by May (three months after bottled). I did save six bottles of this stuff and I canít wait to see how it ages. I know the last one I drank in May tasted better than the first one I drank in February. I made 10 gallons, dry hopped 5 gallons with 1oz of centennial and left 5 gallons not dry hopped (not by choice). Definitely dry hop this puppy and donít be afraid to use two or three ounces of dry hopps, trust me. Also donít be afraid to hop it up a little more than the recipe calls for but if you choose not to you won't be sorry, just make sure to dry hop it and donít drink it as fast as I did. I'll be tasting this again in August, six months after the bottling date and I can't wait. I am sure I'll be wishing I would have saved all of it. I'll be making this one again for sure!

Edit: Oh yeah I made the AG version.

This post has been edited by Sirhc: Jul 13 2006, 03:44 PM

+Quote Post
travisc
post Feb 22 2007, 05:13 PM
Post #12

Assistant Brewer

Member No.: 3,244

My friend and I have brewed this beer about three times and have won numerous gold, silver & best of show medals in the Southeastern US. With a few minor tweaks, this is an absolutely wonderful tasting [all grain] recipe. We usually brew 10gal at a time. Our last brew session was 15gal and we dry-hopped each 5gal carboy with different hops; one with Cascade, one with Centennial and the last carboy with Columbus. Each one had its own complexities.

Last year I took this beer to the 2006 National Homebrew Conference in Orlando, FL. I kept one in my cooler at our table and eagerly awaited Greg Koch CEO of Stone Brewing to stop by. When he did, I poured him and his wife a taste. They were both very pleased with the accuracy of the beer. His wife actually made the comment "I like this better". You should've seen the look she got from Greg...Priceless.

This beer continues to be a favorite at our brew club.

+Quote Post
just-cj
post Feb 22 2007, 07:27 PM
Post #13

Brewmaster

Member No.: 5,655

Yeah, my friends absolutely love my version of this beer, but I only brew it a couple times a year to keep them on their toes. It is a wonderfully complex beer -- as it should be.

+Quote Post
PotownAl
post Sep 11 2007, 06:30 AM
Post #14

Brewer

Member No.: 9,208

I brewed this about two months ago. I dryhopped as suggested. In the mean time, my brother really wanted to oak something. I knew that Stone was releasing their Oaked Arrogant Bastard in a few weeks, so I figured why not. The finished beer is nothing short of fantastic, if I do say so myself! A deep amber color, a very similar hop profile to AB. I will be ordering this kit again and again.

Oh...it was 1.5 ounces of steamed French Oak MED toast chips for 6 days.

+Quote Post
maestro774
post Nov 28 2007, 10:36 PM
Post #15

Stewart

Group: New Member
Member No.: 7,153

Did they remove this from the store? I can't find it anymore.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th February 2018 - 06:11 PM