Guests cannot vote 
slackjawedyokel
post Jan 5 2005, 08:50 PM
Post #1

Assistant Brewer

Group: Members
Member No.: 796

Official description:

Brewboard’s 21st Century Schizoid Ale is a group effort involving several members of Homebrew Adventures’ Brewboard Community from as far away as Japan. It began as an idea posted on the forums and rapidly turned into a Monster with dozens of members suggesting varied ingredients. Its original pedigree seems to have been very German, but then it drifted more towards Belgian. With the addition of Maple Syrup, it became firmly North American. Deep brown in color, medium to full body with a complex hop profile. The use of Maple Syrup in this recipe will add a woody finish to this beer. This is truly an Ale with multiple personalities. (Starting Gravity: 1.073-1.077) (Finishing Gravity: 1.014-1.018) (IBU: 58-62) (Approximate Alcohol content: 6.5-7.2%)
IMPORTANT! - Maple Syrup NOT included. You must supply your own.

This is one of my favorite beers. (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/smile.gif) When you drink it young, it has a bit of a stout taste to it, as it ages, it mellows quite a bit. Enough hops to keep the IPA guys happy, and several other personalities to keep everyone interested. I highly recommend using the maple syrup and dry hopping. As you drink this, take a second to sit back and remember all the ingredients you added, then see if you can pick the flavors out of the finished beer. (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/yin-yang.gif) Also, despite the many varied ingredients, I find this brew is a good base for experimentation. (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/devil.gif) Spruce extract, coffee, alternate yeasts, extra maple syrup, extra chocolate malt, heck, go ahead and use chocolate if you want! This is a sturdy recipe that can handle it. Enough alcohol to serve as a great winter beer. (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/smile.gif)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
cj in j
post Jan 6 2005, 03:45 AM
Post #2

on hiatus...

Member No.: 69

I brewed this beer as part of the original community effort, so it's going on two years old now. I like it and sometime I'll probably brew it again, but it's not at the top of my to-do list. Many friends who have tried this absolutely love it, though. As slack said, it's got enough going on that pretty much anyone other than BMC drinkers can find something to like!

+Quote Post
80Schilling
post Apr 16 2005, 01:46 PM
Post #3

Brewmaster

Member No.: 92

I brewed this as part of the community brew, but will definitely do it again sometime. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it.

+Quote Post
jonguza
post Jan 3 2006, 03:08 PM
Post #4

Assistant Brewer

Member No.: 3,894

Made this recently. The syrup adds a nice flavor but may take a while to ferment out. The various hops do make it a beer with many faces. In the drunken slur of a recent guest, "you oughta sell this sh*t man!"

+Quote Post
cj in j
post Jan 3 2006, 06:45 PM
Post #5

on hiatus...

Member No.: 69

I still have a dozen bottles or so of the batch I made back in 2003, and it's getting better and better. I gave a couple to some beer geeks and they loved it. I gave a couple to some beer drinkers and they also liked it a lot. I will probably make it again some day, as a Christmas/Winter Warmer beer most likely. I also still want to make the recipe without the maple syrup -- I think it would be an awesome strong brown!

+Quote Post
indianabeer
post Apr 10 2006, 07:05 PM
Post #6

Stewart

Group: New Member
Member No.: 5,277

This beer is excellent with a little aging. It took about three months for it to really turn out great. There's one thing to remember on this beer, watch how many you drink of these. They creep up and knock your socks off!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/tongue.gif)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd May 2018 - 10:42 AM