Total Votes: 73
Guests cannot vote 
bolle
post Apr 19 2005, 01:32 PM
Post #16

Stewart

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,015

Hey guys...I like my therminator/thrumometer too, but have experienced mixed results. Sometimes it works like a charm, sometimes it gets cloggeed.

Here is my setup...I use a 15 gallon stainless ketlle with valve. I user whole hops when available and always put them in a steeping bag. Sometimes on a 10 gallon or 5 gallon batch (especially if there are a lot of hops) the therminator gets clogged, usually about 80% through the process.

I have also noticed a lot of gooey stuff on the bottom, hot break? Do you think a false bottom would help the problem at all?

I am also gravity feeding the wort into the therminator.

Any thoughts/advice you have would be appreciated.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Danno6102
post Aug 12 2005, 07:24 AM
Post #17

Brewmaster

Member No.: 2,239

Just got my Therminator last night. I thought spending $1000 on my new brew rig I would be set for large purchases. My in efficient CFC proved me wrong. Over a half hour to chill 6g, with a prechiller is way too long.

The only thing I noticed about mine was the water fittings on the unit. The fittings I added were a real pain tho get tight to seal. I had to really crank them down with some plyers. These fittings would go on a garden hose with ease. So I think they could work those threads a little better to make it easier to get your typical garden hose fittings on.

It would also be nice to have the proper fittings. Like a female garden hose on the water in side. Not a big deal, but 99% of the brewers will be hooking this up to a garden hose from their spigot & you need a female fitting on the unit to connect it to the hose, so you have to go get a female to female union. Like I said, no big deal, just a couple bucks for the part.

I'll report on my first use this satruday.

Danno

+Quote Post
cj in j
post Aug 12 2005, 08:53 AM
Post #18

on hiatus...

Member No.: 69

QUOTE(Danno6102 @ Aug 12 2005, 09:25 PM)
The only thing I noticed about mine was the water fittings on the unit. The fittings I added were a real pain tho get tight to seal. I had to really crank them down with some plyers. These fittings would go on a garden hose with ease. So I think they could work those threads a little better to make it easier to get your typical garden hose fittings on.
Sounds a lot different than mine. The water in and out threads are very smooth -- I only finger tighten them, and haven't had any problems with leaking at all. My fittings came from either Home Depot or Meynards -- I'm not sure since my brother got them for me and sent them over. Are you sure you have a gasket in there? (Guess who left the gasket out during my first test run and couldn't figure out for several minutes why water was spraying all over the place. (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/blush.gif) )

+Quote Post
Danno6102
post Aug 15 2005, 08:52 AM
Post #19

Brewmaster

Member No.: 2,239

QUOTE(cj in j @ Aug 12 2005, 08:54 AM)
Sounds a lot different than mine. The water in and out threads are very smooth -- I only finger tighten them, and haven't had any problems with leaking at all. My fittings came from either Home Depot or Meynards -- I'm not sure since my brother got them for me and sent them over. Are you sure you have a gasket in there? (Guess who left the gasket out during my first test run and couldn't figure out for several minutes why water was spraying all over the place.  (IMG:style_emoticons/brewboard/blush.gif) )

Yeah, there were gaskets in there. I even doubled up the gaskets to see if maybe it wasn't screwing all the way on compressing the first one. It's leak free now though.

Used this thing Saturday & the wife was even shocked. She was sitting by the kettle, which was at 210° & I was taking a temp reading of the wort going into primary, she asked what the temp was & I told her 68°, here response was "WOW!!! It's 210° over here. All with that little box?" That was with straight ground water, no prechiller. Cut about 20 minutes off my chilling time too.

+Quote Post
Browndog
post Nov 15 2005, 04:32 PM
Post #20

Assistant Brewer

Member No.: 3,080

Another Excellent product from Blichmann Engineering!

I sprung for a convoluted copper CF chiller, but wasn't impressed with the performance. The Thermenator impresses me! I throw it in a bucket of sanitizer for 1/2 hour, then hook it up to the pump and circulate the solution through all the lines - then hook it up to the brewpot and fermentor and knock out.

My water in and out hose connections are plastic. Seem to work fine, with no chance of galling the threads, although I am considering garden hose quick disconnects.

Cleaning hasn't been an issue, just backflush with hot tap water right after use. I use whole hops with a screen for a hopback in the boil pot.

See the product in action: http://browndogbrew.blogspot.com/

+Quote Post
lumpymilk
post Sep 5 2007, 01:39 AM
Post #21

Group: New Member
Member No.: 9,478

I couldn't give it a full 10. Sorry, but there are a couple things that need to be worked out.
#1 - Cleaning. there needs to be an easier way of cleaning it. I boil mine just in case.
#2 - Sharp edges. There is a black rubber bead covering the sharp area on the back of the therminator but even handling the unit by the sided I get end up with these small notches taken out of my hand. No blood...just irritating cuts.

It does work as advertised though. I use gravity feed and cold water from the faucet. Chills 10 gallons extremely fast and down to pitching temps.

+Quote Post
just-cj
post Sep 5 2007, 07:00 AM
Post #22

Brewmaster

Member No.: 5,655

QUOTE(lumpymilk @ Sep 5 2007, 03:39 PM) *
#2 - Sharp edges. There is a black rubber bead covering the sharp area on the back of the therminator but even handling the unit by the sided I get end up with these small notches taken out of my hand. No blood...just irritating cuts.
Take a small hammer and gently pound down the sharp edges. They serve no purpose other than cutting your hands, as you noted. Pound them down -- no cuts, and no damage to the chiller.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th January 2020 - 08:31 PM